Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 12:10 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
... Buying "day old" bread. (There were no outlets back then.)

My Dad used to go to the bakery and ask if they had any burnt cookies. We ate around the burnt parts. LOL
We have a local commercial bakery that offers 'day old' bread in 30-gallon garbage bags for $1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 12:44 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,408,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
Hanging clothes to dry.
Still using my solar- and wind-powered dryer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed. I recently bought a pattern for a garment, thinking I could just make it myself for half the price of retail. Wrong. After I added up the cost of fabric, notions, thread, etc it would probably end up costing me more money...plus the hours and hours of time it would take. Mission aborted.
Yes! I bought nice jeans and corduroys last year for $35 each. I can't make them for that. (Pants are hard to make, too.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
has anyone mentioned rebates? Remember as you went into the store, there would be a display of mail-in rebate forms for all kinds of products.
Menard's offers rebates.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:06 PM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
Mom bought a lot of our clothing at rummage sales and the Salvation Army, in addition to sewing clothing. I miss church-sponsored rummage sales! They are a rarity around here now.

Buying "day old" bread. (There were no outlets back then.)

My Dad used to go to the bakery and ask if they had any burnt cookies. We ate around the burnt parts. LOL
Are you not in NJ anymore? I know a church that has one every few months. I always get rid of clothes and other items I don't want anymore that way, but then I come home with new stuff from there lol.

Old 04-26-2024, 09:29 PM

12 posts, read 1,415 times
We use Native bar Soap for almost everything. Cleaning pots and pans, cleaning the kitchen counters, in the shower, etc. Less chemicals on my skin and it's saved us about $10 a month in not buying dishsoap or using as much chemical spray cleaner

Old 04-26-2024, 09:47 PM

37,477 posts, read 61,444,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyHomesteader View Post
We use Native bar Soap for almost everything....
I am not familiar with that brand.

I live in Maine. We heat using woodstoves, one big woodstove for heat and one cookstove my Dw prepares our meals on and in. I save the woodash and use it to make lye, my Dw uses the lye to make soap [combined with lard from our pigs].

Old 04-27-2024, 12:18 AM

2,623 posts, read 3,153,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Collecting Green Stamps
Saved and pasted many of them. We bought a picnic cooler once and a Presto hot dog cooker later. Our next stamps went unused when the program fizzled out. It was simple fun to paste them in the books.

Old 04-27-2024, 10:36 AM

24,612 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Saved and pasted many of them. We bought a picnic cooler once and a Presto hot dog cooker later. Our next stamps went unused when the program fizzled out. It was simple fun to paste them in the books.
As kid I "collected" stamps from everyone who did not use them. That and returning glass bottles and egg cartons was a nice up to my pocket money.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:26 AM

5,455 posts, read 4,062,845 times
How about the Betty Crocker boxtop points that you could collect and trade for merch? That program is also defunct.

Old 04-28-2024, 08:55 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
How about the Betty Crocker boxtop points that you could collect and trade for merch? That program is also defunct.
Those box top coupons were so enabling ... I acquired an awful lot of kitchen equipment and tableware from Betty. Wish they were still around!

Old 04-28-2024, 07:19 PM

7,651 posts, read 4,612,045 times
Here's a different one. Back in the 90's credit card companies and banks were all aflutter to get their credit cards in students' pockets like myself. They were so easy to get, that corresponding with the advent of online trading, people would take these cards, take the max advance possible, and at that point it was 3% or $50/$75 whichever was less.

While I didn't partake in the .com mania, I did collect enough of those cards that after school I realized that I could actually advance myself enough money to pay off my student loans and have still more cards open to transfer the balance once the 0% rate expired. While i'd lose the tax deductibility of the interest....I'd also be losing most of the interest.

It didn't go flawlessly. Bank of America especially loved to rip rates much higher on a whim, and played games with their apply date/due date/payment periods, but it definitely saved me money and I was able to pay off the loans even before the standard term. Eventually they all did away with their fee cap and let it be a straight percent. A couple are still at 3 but most have gone to 4 or 5. BOA still winning the a-hat point category, especially with variable rates that were quick to go up and never fell when interest rates were cut again.

Though I did cheer when Obama made it not possible for credit card companies to play their period games. That was needed.

While I was nervous about something happening and suddenly I had all this debt in short term financing, it worked out. Plus, if I needed to go bankrupt, then my student debt actually would be washed away because it was no unsecured CC debt. Did the same trick later to get home downpayment amounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living