Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 06:39 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I think you interpreted that previous post wrong. They were answering the question of the thread title...obsolete ways to save money.

I also posted that it would cost me more to change my own oil as opposed to taking it a mechanic or dealership.
The cheapest chain wants $90 for an oil change for my truck including discounts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2024, 06:51 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
You must think we are either poor or very thrifty in this country!

If we can, most people hang their washing out to dry, even when the houses are worth several million dollars.

It is normal for kids to take lunch to school and perhaps buy lunch once a week. Lunch is normally picnic style outside. Only a few disadvantaged schools offer breakfast and I think the cost may be subsidised, but not free.

This follows on to people taking lunch to work. My daughter is a funds manager but her husband packs her lunch, obviously unless she has to eat out for work reasons.

I sometimes take a sandwich with me when I am going shopping and just buy a coffee. I have started to object to paying $15 for a sandwich.

People go camping all the time here from choice. The daughter with packed lunches and her family are going camping with friends in a couple of weeks time.

However communication has certainly changed. When we went overseas we would write postcards rather than pay the exorbitant cost of long distance phone calls. Now we get an eSIM and use WhatsApp. At home, we did without a phone for the first eighteen months we were together as the connection fee was so high.

Old 03-31-2024, 07:11 PM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Eating Bologna or Spam Sandwiches.

And paying for your own wedding and honeymoon for next to nothing. The cake coming from the local Krogers type store.
K-12th grade, it was Bologna sandwiches 4 days a week. Fridays was always either tuna or PBJ. But Mon-Thur it was always Bologna on white. No trimmings.

Old 04-01-2024, 04:39 AM

879 posts, read 763,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I don't know if you've priced airfare lately but the less desirable the departure or arrival ends up being, oftentimes the cheaper the flight. If you leave at 5 AM or are willing to get in at midnight there are often savings for the flight.

I'll throw out, sewing your own clothes (not sewing to fix, but actually make.)
Reloading ammunition, in most cases. It's still done as a hobby to optimize performance.
Changing your own oil, in many cases.
I sew all my clothes. However, it’s way more expensive to sew clothes than to buy them. Fabric is very expensive.

Old 04-01-2024, 06:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Changing oil saves money?

Sorry, but the mechanic is ordering filters by the thousand and his cost per one is far less than your cost per one. The mechanic pumps bulk oils from one of a half dozen or so tanks in the ground, at a cost per quart far less than what you get in a plastic jug off the retail shelf.

Also, I don't have to dispose of the stuff. I don't have to get rags and a drip pan out of the garage or shed while the mechanic might not even have to walk 5 feet to get those things. And shoot, I don't even have to get my hands dirty or risk ruining even my yardwork clothes.

The reality is that for the vast majority of people, having the mechanic do it is actually a better use of one's time, even if not paying for the other guy's labor is marginally cheaper by a few dollars.
The mechanic (or owner) is also having to pay for rent/mortgage, utilities, property tax, insurance, employee wages, unemployment insurance, etc, etc, which is why they have to charge so much for labor.

At one point, I had five cars to change oil on. It took me about an hour-and-half to do all five. That was much quicker and cheaper than taking all five to a dealer/quick change.

Old 04-01-2024, 07:11 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

If we can, most people hang their washing out to dry, even when the houses are worth several million dollars.

It is normal for kids to take lunch to school and perhaps buy lunch once a week. Lunch is normally picnic style outside. Only a few disadvantaged schools offer breakfast and I think the cost may be subsidised, but not free.

This follows on to people taking lunch to work. My daughter is a funds manager but her husband packs her lunch, obviously unless she has to eat out for work reasons.

I sometimes take a sandwich with me when I am going shopping and just buy a coffee. I have started to object to paying $15 for a sandwich.

People go camping all the time here from choice. The daughter with packed lunches and her family are going camping with friends in a couple of weeks time.

However communication has certainly changed. When we went overseas we would write postcards rather than pay the exorbitant cost of long distance phone calls. Now we get an eSIM and use WhatsApp. At home, we did without a phone for the first eighteen months we were together as the connection fee was so high.
I agree with you that most of the things you list here are not obsolete save one:

Hanging clothes out to dry in the open air.

Clothes actually smell better when you do that (even if you use scented detergents and dryer sheets), but the hardware for doing so, which was once quite common even in suburban developments, is no longer part of the package offered to homebuyers in new subdivisions. Washers and dryers are considered part of the standard appliance package. I suspect that if you asked a builder to install a clothesline in your backyard, you'd get funny looks.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:02 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Agreed. I recently bought a pattern for a garment, thinking I could just make it myself for half the price of retail. Wrong. After I added up the cost of fabric, notions, thread, etc it would probably end up costing me more money...plus the hours and hours of time it would take. Mission aborted.

Agreed. My local auto shop recently DOUBLED their price on oil changes and it's still cheaper than if I bought all the stuff at Auto Zone or wherever and did it myself. No deal there.
Oil changes are their "loss leader". They do them for cheaper than you can (usually using inferior oil and cheap generic filters) in order to upsell you by offering all kinds of extra maintenance and unneeded "repairs". One place tried to sell me on the "fact" that my A/C needed work, 2 months after I'd just replaced the whole system and it was working excellently. Bait and switch baby!

Old 04-01-2024, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I agree with you that most of the things you list here are not obsolete save one:

Hanging clothes out to dry in the open air.

Clothes actually smell better when you do that (even if you use scented detergents and dryer sheets), but the hardware for doing so, which was once quite common even in suburban developments, is no longer part of the package offered to homebuyers in new subdivisions. Washers and dryers are considered part of the standard appliance package. I suspect that if you asked a builder to install a clothesline in your backyard, you'd get funny looks.
Mostly they aren't allowed in HOA subdivisions if they are visible from anyone else's yard or the street.

Old 04-01-2024, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Then what do they do with all those cans of Spam and pounds of bologna (prepackaged and deli-sliced) they sell?

I know some people do eat Spam at breakfast time.

It's also considered a delicacy in Hawaii.
Not a delicacy, just an everyday food that they love. It's in every store and comes in numerous new varieties that never existed until recently.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:17 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayHammer View Post
Changing oil saves money?
No. That's why it's an obsolete means of cost savings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post

It is normal for kids to take lunch to school and perhaps buy lunch once a week. Lunch is normally picnic style outside.

People go camping all the time here from choice. =
No, People list things here that they used to do, but now they are out of touch with and the only few they see are doing it differently. The only thing that isn't nearly as common is hanging clothes out to dry, but I think that's a reflection on the climate as much as anything. Much of the year it's too chilly in most of the US, or outright cold. And then much of the country that has warm enough weather gets a lot of rain.

It's very normal here for kids to bring lunch in a lunchbox and pack lunch to work. Everywhere I've worked it's been commonplace.

Camping is a common hobby too. Every WalMart has quite a bit of camping gear, not to mention the sports and outdoors stores that have significant selections, and outdoor recreation stores specifically like REI, LL Bean, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimbro000 View Post
I sew all my clothes. However, it’s way more expensive to sew clothes than to buy them. Fabric is very expensive.
Yes, that is now the case. That's why it's an obsolete way of economizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living