Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 03:34 PM

83 posts, read 742,886 times

Advertisements

Hello, Do the CFL light Bulbs save money ? I have them throughout my home and I did not notice a large reduction on my Electric bill. Has anyone else noticed a change ? The lighting is a little dim also and I thought about changing them out if I dont notice a big change in my electric bill. Thanks for any help you can give me. Bradshaw
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:44 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,006 times
i thought i read task lighting is only about 7% of the average consumption

Old 01-16-2009, 04:58 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,223,991 times
CFL bulbs do require less electricity than their incandescent counterparts. However, they're not going to save you hundreds of dollars per month.

I'd guess that having all CFL bulbs might save you $5 - $10 per month on your electric bill. And that's not much, until you start adding it up.

You should also be aware that CFL bulbs will have markedly different "colors" of light - from a softer yellowish color, to the stark bluish light.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,883,864 times
$5-$10 a month? Hmm... I don't see it.... Honestly I don't like CFLs and I prefer whatever has the largest lumens and I choose that.... CFLs has mercury and I definitely don't want that contaminating the water supply as it already has...

Old 01-17-2009, 11:56 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,725,197 times
CFLs have mercury, just like tube fluoro bulbs, street lamps, LCD computer monitors & TVs, old thermostats & thermometers. Proper disposal is key. This new technology is here to stay. More public messages/education about proper disposal is a must.

Otherwise I'll gladly save $5-10 per month. That's like getting free Netflix.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:46 PM

256 posts, read 889,416 times
we have seen a reduction seen switching...you may not see it right away, but you will over time. if you have every light on in your house it doesnt help you save any no matter what kind of bulb you have. it takes them longer to heat up as well, so thats less thats being used

Old 01-18-2009, 11:21 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,247,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
we have seen a reduction seen switching...you may not see it right away, but you will over time.
how?

why would you see it 'over time' but not right after installing them? look at your historical data (available from poco) for the 12/mo prior to installing the CFL's. That will tell you the truth. You're either saving money or you're not. There is no "break-in" period.

Anyhow, you can expect to save around $10/mo if you use a lot of lights.

Your water heater and hvac will consume the most power. Turn those down if you really need to save some energy.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM

290 posts, read 1,182,017 times
I'm surprised that nobody has invented a breaker panel that can measure power consumption at each breaker, and where it can send you a weekly/monthly report via email (hey maybe it is a wifi client)... that would be cool. By being aware of how and where you consume you can figure out a strategy to save.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,219,575 times
The local energy company here in Colorado is doing instant rebates on CFLs. $1 buys you a CFL. That saves you some money

So, I installed them throughout the house. The only thing that bugs me about them is the warm up time. I put two 75W equivalents in the cold garage. Takes a lil bit of time to have them come up to brightness. But other than that it is a great way to save on electricity. Maybe not noticeable per month but over the long run.

I think the CFLs have a very minute ammount of mercury in them. And as time draws on and these bulbs actually start to burn out I am sure CFL recycling will become more common place to deal with the mercury issue.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:15 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,725,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeacePlease View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has invented a breaker panel that can measure power consumption at each breaker, and where it can send you a weekly/monthly report via email (hey maybe it is a wifi client)... that would be cool. By being aware of how and where you consume you can figure out a strategy to save.

For now I guess you can use one of these:

killawatt - Google Product Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living