Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:23 AM

253 posts, read 805,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I've known some of each in both camps. The worst - IMO - are the ones who find themselves suddenly in the position of having to make do with a lot less than they were accustomed to. They can get really irate at no longer being able to live in the style to which they'd become accustomed, and still feel a sense of entitlement. Some of the happier ones are the ones who use what they have to enjoy life, while being aware that it might all come to an abrupt halt. One man I knew said they'd lived before on what he could poach; if necessary, they could do it again, and he had a camper on his pickup they could live in if necessary. They were one of the happiest families I've ever known.

It's more a matter of using what one has, rather than being used by one's things, I think.
I agree here.
all over now you hear folks whine cuz they have to resort to shopping at a wlamart now, saying "ive never had to go so low!!"
i just laugh, people are so used to haven what they want when they want it(instant gratifcation), hey, if you can afford, go for it, but is it really neccasary???
thats why recession doesnt get less spendy people all up in a sweat, we already live withen our means, therefore, when we cant buy that new car everyother year, or change out our wardrobes everyother month, we dont mind.
i buy new, but i buy used more, im not a fruitcake frugal person, and we make good money, i just dont like spending more then i have to on somehting, i get a kick out of finding something i want alot cheaper, let someone else pay the initial markup, i will wait and buy it from them used when they get bored with it, and save a lot.
people that know us at first think we have alot more money then we do, and they are shocked when they learn that alot of stuff we have is used. my kids dress in all thelatest things, just second hand, and they have more clothes then they know what to do with. this just goes to show, you dont have to spend alot to have alot, and you dont have to spend alot to keep up with the jones, i could care less if im looked down on by neighbors fro buyen used, thats ok, ive seen them at the habitate store tryen to hide fact that they have resorted to shopping there now....but i will keep their little secret now, if you will excuse me, since i dont have to worry about keepen up with everyone, im off to enjoy this wonderfull spring day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 AM

24,394 posts, read 23,050,809 times
If you don't spend money, the odds are you have money and can spare a little if somebody else needs it, I.E. giving to charity. If you live extravagantly, you are showing selfish tendancies already and there's a good chance you are in debt and can't spare anything for anybody else. So that's one aspect of being "nice". I beleive there's studies that show that middle class blue collar people give more as do the very religious.
There's living frugally and being poor. But everybody is different.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 AM

77 posts, read 238,230 times
My comment was deleted b/c it was deemed racist. I made the statement to show how asinine this thread is.

Should a short person be nicer than a tall person, is a fat person more stingy than a skinny person? Please tell me why a frugal person should be nicer than anyone else.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living