Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 03:57 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I was reading up on this a little yesterday. One site says to use bar type laundry soap and pare it down into curls, putting it into a container with hot water and letting sit overnight.

Do not quote me but that is the jist of it. Does anyone here make their own?

I am down to the last drop of my dawn that I love but I am so over the price!
Anyone out there? Making your own? Let me know!
TIA

Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 07:03 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
I can usually get dishwashing detergent for free or no more than 50 cents a bottle by clipping coupons and watching for sales. I haven't ever tried to make my own nor do I have the time right now.

Anxious to see if others have a solution for you.

Old 05-23-2010, 08:20 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Dish soap? I hold my dishes under hot running water, and rub them down with my hands until they squeak. I make a scrub pad (by tying up onion bags) for stuff that's stuck on. I haven't washed anything with soap in months. Maybe a little soap for a plastic storage container that had something really greasy in it.

(They don't really 'squeak', but you can start to feel resistance when you've got the grease off. When camping, old pinecones lying on the ground make great scrub pads.)

Old 05-24-2010, 07:21 PM

OK, I got 8 bars of dial for 2.96. This was a couple of weeks ago at Wal Mart. Roughly .37. I followed the same instructions listed above and I guess I used about a half a bar of soap. I mixed it up with water in a ziploc plastic container early this afternoon and just went and checked on it and wow. I used too much soap. This just means I can thin it out and it will have made more.

I will let you know how it works on the dishes. I am quite sure it would be a good body wash too.. I like it. So far it is way more than a bottle of dish soap.... now if someone had not thrown out the last empty bottle.... hmm

Old 05-25-2010, 10:17 AM

OK, I tried it. It could use some more grease cutting ability but it did the job. It reminds me of Ivory dish soap. I think it would make a good body wash...

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I think the principle ingredient in dish soap would be the detergent quality. Everything else comes off easy, but for clean dishes, you need to cut the grease.

The bar soap I use for absolutely everything (shave, shower, shampoo) is Zote, imported from Mexico. It's getting hard to find the Zote soap that is not colored and scented, even in Mexico, but most stores also sell one of the other Mexican brands, the names of which I cannot recall. If they're not on the bar-soap shelf, look near the laundry soaps. The bars that are white or dark amber are very close to pure soap, the kind you pay twenty times as much for at craft fairs. It's the soap standard in every third world country. It doesn't float, like Ivory, because it's not 'whipped', but its a quarter of the price and has less aroma, but feels similar.

Pikantari's ziploc bag idea would probably work perfectly for converting Zote into a liquid soap application.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:54 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,895,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I think the principle ingredient in dish soap would be the detergent quality. Everything else comes off easy, but for clean dishes, you need to cut the grease.

The bar soap I use for absolutely everything (shave, shower, shampoo) is Zote, imported from Mexico. It's getting hard to find the Zote soap that is not colored and scented, even in Mexico, but most stores also sell one of the other Mexican brands, the names of which I cannot recall. If they're not on the bar-soap shelf, look near the laundry soaps. The bars that are white or dark amber are very close to pure soap, the kind you pay twenty times as much for at craft fairs. It's the soap standard in every third world country. It doesn't float, like Ivory, because it's not 'whipped', but its a quarter of the price and has less aroma, but feels similar.

Pikantari's ziploc bag idea would probably work perfectly for converting Zote into a liquid soap application.

Would that be the same as the old Octagon soap we use to wash clothes with ?

I am trying the washing soda and liquid soap now for washing clothes. Works good .

Old 06-03-2010, 05:37 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Would that be the same as the old Octagon soap we use to wash clothes with ?
My grandmother always kept Octagon soap around. When we kids got full of red bugs from playing in the woods, she'd have us wash with it. It got rid of them too! I didn't know it had another use. lol

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,650 times
I don't make home made dish soap, but I make home made laundry soap and fabric softener.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,713 times
You don't need to do anything to the bar - just put it in the sink when you fill it with water, allow the water to run over the cake.

You can even dry the soap off with your dishcloth and then put it on a dish under your sink for next time.

I saw this on a news segment about how to save money on detergent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living