Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 12:19 PM

20,522 posts, read 19,175,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
You can also make your own bouillon: Bouillon: Call it portable soup | Food | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

If you Google "homemade bouillon" you'll find lots of recipes, youtube videos, etc. It tastes way better and this way you know exactly what's going into it. Plus you might already have everything you need on hand which means you don't have to go out and buy anything.

I'm a big fan of bouillon, stock, broth, soups, etc.! They really do save you a lot of money while offering a very healthful way to satisfy just about any appetite.

I buy miso in tubs. Miso is very versatile and makes really good soups, dips, and dressings.
Miso is a bit pricey. For extra bases , all it really is is fermented soy beans. One can also make shorter term "Sweet miso" while they are waiting for their batch of the main stuff. On can ferment any bean in this way.

Its the Asian version of cheese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:00 PM

6,066 posts, read 14,970,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Miso is a bit pricey. For extra bases , all it really is is fermented soy beans. One can also make shorter term "Sweet miso" while they are waiting for their batch of the main stuff. On can ferment any bean in this way.

Its the Asian version of cheese.
That is interesting - making your own miso. Thanks, I will have to read about it.

I don't think miso is really too $$ because at least for me, a little bit goes a long way and one tub lasts a long time. I get many many uses out of one tub. It might also be a bit more affordable for me because I purchase it from a local producer through a co-op. In a regular grocery store I can see how it might cost more.

Old 11-07-2013, 01:59 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,214,934 times
Largekingcat, don't those frozen sandwiches have a load of sodium? I only ask because you posted not to buy frozen dinners for that reason. That's my gripe for my son and dil, that they let the grandkids eat way to many sodium filled foods. Those cup a noodle thingys and frozen pizza. I worry about the health of kids when they're our age, they wont stand a chance.

Per Op topic: I'm a huge fan of cooking more than you need for one meal and freezing. Love my crockpot. For a easy and super yummy meal I'll also make a double batch of Zataran's red beans & rice. I add spicy sausage that I get on sale usually for $1.50, my sister preferred chicken in hers. This is a great cheap meal that can feed a bunch and have plenty of leftovers. I could almost live on this in cold weather.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:57 PM

562 posts, read 669,113 times
I'm not much of a cook, but must try to learn. I'm now single, and on a weekly food budget of only forty dollars or less. Anyone know a good beans and rice recipe? I would also like to make chili an easy and cheap way, and chicken soup also to last for a week. Is'nt Zataran's sort of expensive for just a little box? I'm also figuring that tea would be less expensive than coffee, but coffee taste's better with toast, eggs, and pancakes. i have my breakfast and lunch budget figured out, but am confused about supper, except for tv dinners or spagetti.

Last edited by glenninindy; 11-07-2013 at 10:21 PM..

Old 11-08-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
That is interesting - making your own miso. Thanks, I will have to read about it.

I don't think miso is really too $$ because at least for me, a little bit goes a long way and one tub lasts a long time. I get many many uses out of one tub. It might also be a bit more affordable for me because I purchase it from a local producer through a co-op. In a regular grocery store I can see how it might cost more.

One can always exceed on quality and on variety. It is also a good door way to other ways to have the very finest of quality for pennies. I also like yogurt and sour kraut which is half the price and much higher in quality. Instead of beer or wine , one can have easy to brew hard cider for pennies and the quality is to your own tastes.

Think out of the box store.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:06 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,828,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
Largekingcat, don't those frozen sandwiches have a load of sodium? I only ask because you posted not to buy frozen dinners for that reason. That's my gripe for my son and dil, that they let the grandkids eat way to many sodium filled foods. Those cup a noodle thingys and frozen pizza. I worry about the health of kids when they're our age, they wont stand a chance.

Per Op topic: I'm a huge fan of cooking more than you need for one meal and freezing. Love my crockpot. For a easy and super yummy meal I'll also make a double batch of Zataran's red beans & rice. I add spicy sausage that I get on sale usually for $1.50, my sister preferred chicken in hers. This is a great cheap meal that can feed a bunch and have plenty of leftovers. I could almost live on this in cold weather.
As a cashier I see what people buy all day long. Sometimes I'll see something I think I might like to try but nearly every time I've been disappointed. Those frozen dinners, etc. are AWFUL. And the sandwiches? I don't know because I've never been very tempted to try them. There are so many 'convenience' foods out there it's just amazing. I decided a long time ago though that if I can't pronounce ingredients, or know what they are, I don't much want to eat it!

I do the same as you with the cooking. I only cook once a week on my days off and if I make to much, which I often do on purpose, I have meals in the freezer. I call that 'planned overs'. lol The other day I did my monthly shopping trip, spent $133 and am set. I will need milk but that's about it. I came home and baked a loaf of bread, an apple pie and some baked chicken breasts. Today I have Swiss Steak in the crockpot. I gave my mom half of the apple pie for her, my nephew and his wife. Oh yeah, I also made a pot of green beans, red potatoes and ham! Soooo yummy!

Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
I'm not much of a cook, but must try to learn. I'm now single, and on a weekly food budget of only forty dollars or less. Anyone know a good beans and rice recipe? I would also like to make chili an easy and cheap way, and chicken soup also to last for a week. Is'nt Zataran's sort of expensive for just a little box? I'm also figuring that tea would be less expensive than coffee, but coffee taste's better with toast, eggs, and pancakes. i have my breakfast and lunch budget figured out, but am confused about supper, except for tv dinners or spagetti.
Just adapt a typical Louisiana style red beans and rice to your available material.

Learn to buy and use whole chickens. They are easy to cut up. Just follow the fat lines. You could eat 4 quarters and stock which can be used in the rice and beans recipe or the soup.

Good soup starts with good stock. All you really need is the back, necks and wing tips. If you learn how to make them boneless then that is even more bones to use for stock. Takes about 5 minutes for me. Just add water and a little salt and boil for 3 hours. In the winter you get the waste heat. That should get 4 quarts of good stock.

A very simple meal similar to what they do in Hawaii is Saimin.

You can make you own noodles or dried. Any meat you want to add can be cooked in just a few minutes, just do not over cook it( cubbed pork chop).

Hawaiian Saimin Recipe, Hawaiian Saimin History, Hawaiian Saimin Recipe, Hawaii Recipes, Hawaiian Recipes

Old 11-08-2013, 07:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,661,121 times
well i tried to stick to a 50 dollar budget per week, and i failed. i spent 70 bucks and im not sure that will even get me to the end of this week...

i have a larger than normal appetite however, as i lift weights to put on muscle.

im currently 160 lbs, 6 ft 1 in, and have 4.5 % body fat...ive been working out for the past 7 years on and off

i figure if i can keep it to 215 a month then ill be a winner. i like to shop for quality products, but come to reason with some items at other stores. anyone else lift/put on muscle with a lower food budget?

Old 11-09-2013, 06:27 PM

1,959 posts, read 3,082,216 times
I think I do it - but I have a 500-700 sq ft garden and can the food. Then, I aggressively shop sales and stock up when things are really inexpensive. I am vegetarian - so no meat or fish. I LOVE potatoes and those are cheap and good and can be prepared so many ways. Also - I bought a pressure cooker and buy dry beans which I can cook quickly using less fuel also. You can get by on $150 a month but you will have to change how you eat: no processed food, candy, snacks, etc. You probably will actually eat healthier.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,553 times
I feed (2) quite well on $150 a month. I also make many desserts, meat meals, and soups too.
The secret to living off this budget is knowing how to cook from scratch. Almost all money is wasted buying foods that are already canned, cooked, packaged.
Take beans for instance. 5 lb bag of beans will make 5 quarts of cooked ones which equals 13 cans of already cooked and canned beans. If I buy the already canned beans I spend $13. If I buy the bagged dry do it yourself beans I spend $1.19.
An already cooked cake with icing sells for $15.99. If I buy the same cake and ice it my self I spend $1.19 on the box of cake mix and $2.25 on the icing.
So as you can see the savings are enormous. So why would I ever want to buy already cooked food?
Chicken leg and thigh quarters come in a 7 lb bag at wal-mart for $7.00. I can take a box of baggies and (2) bags of the chicken quarters and make enough portions to last for 3 weeks.
I also buy the $22.00 box of real beef 1/3 pound burger patties. They last all month.
This stuff adds up quick to wholesome healthy meals. Add noodles and mushroom soup w/cheese to chicken to make Stroganoff type meals.[url=http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/173193/Chicken-and-mushroom-stroganoff]Chicken and mushroom stroganoff recipe - goodtoknow[/url]
Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living