Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2014, 12:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,810,096 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to how many of these ppl who are living on these super cheap budgets, either don't have children, or have children who eat breakfast and lunch at school. Also, some people eat out a lot. They don't factor those things into their grocery budget.

I live in a high cost of living area, and $150 a month (not including toiletries) MIGHT feed 2 people if all they were eating were rice and beans, and shopping poor quality meats and produce. I pay $4 for a gallon of milk, $3.50 for a loaf of bread, $3 for a carton of eggs. I spend over $1000 a month for 6 people. I want my family to eat WELL. Some might argue that being well nourished with high quality foods might save you down the line on healthcare costs and savings. Healthy people get sick less often, and suffer from fewer chronic health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 12:55 PM

1,548 posts, read 903,007 times
I spend about $100 a month, max. I really think it's more around $80 a month. I always eat at home and eat everything I buy to the last crumb.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:30 PM

260 posts, read 324,144 times
My grocery bill is $150 a week. I buy 5 liters of soups -$20 = $20, Smoked Fish $20, cold cuts - $20, chese -$10, Produce = $30, Seltzer $20, $20 meats (chicken or steaks) . Maybe another $10-20 on cleaning supplies, toilet paper, paper towels. I also eat out on the weekends. Maybe I throw out like $10 worth of food due to spoilage. The supermarket I go to is not the cheapest, it's on the expensive side (Expensive area)

I don't really cook, I heat things up, that's it.

I fully realize that on $150 one could feed a family of 3. It's just how much time do you spend on cooking and shopping.

There is a farmers market store near by, so if I could only spend $35 on food a week, I would spend $25 there and then $10 on the meats and fish. If you think about it, I would have a more nutritious diet then what I do now.

A chicken soup is a cheap chicken plus some spaghetti.
Beans are cheap and nutritious, Rice... Boil and freeze the water instead of buying....

Old 12-01-2014, 12:49 AM

418 posts, read 720,797 times
I think it's fascinating how vastly different people's food spending is. For the last two years, I've averaged $200 a month for one. But that was shopping at a really expensive store, almost 100% organic, and no planning. With little effort this month, I hit $140, and I suspect with planning and cutting down to about 50% organic, I could get to $100 per month. I am spending more time looking at sales and coupons than I did before.

I do grow freeze and can a few items.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,235,847 times
I just got through the month on $95.11 of food.

2 pounds of chicken made 10 dishes with rice plus condensed cream of chicken soup - never saw that anywhere, I created it myself. The soup was 50 cents a can with store coupons (reg 1.19)

Other rice dishes.

Lots of boxed mac-n-cheese as well as meatless pasta dishes including pasta e fagioli (aka pasta fazool or pasta and beans)

Large eggs with store coupon @1.25/dozen (reg 1.89) Apparently eggs have gone up the new store coupon in today's newspaper is 2 for $4. (pout)

Pancakes.

Potatoes.

Salads and seasonal fruits and vegetables. (Grapefruit has been the best deal of the past few weeks.)

Wyler's sugar-free drink mix $1.52 makes 12 quarts. One 2-liter bottle per week of store brand diet cola.

I seasonally rotate in hot oatmeal during the winter so that's on the next shopping list. (Limited refrigerator space makes milk/cereal a rarity.)

And I have about 10 days of food left.

Old 12-01-2014, 07:52 AM

37,118 posts, read 60,774,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I'm curious as to how many of these ppl who are living on these super cheap budgets, either don't have children, or have children who eat breakfast and lunch at school. Also, some people eat out a lot. They don't factor those things into their grocery budget. ...
We were raising children from the mid-80s until 2005. We peaked at 5 children. For most of that we homeschooled, we our children did not eat at school. however there were periods of it that they did attend public-funded schools and there was lunch at school.

My Dw volunteered as a budget counselor for Navy/Marine Corp Relief Society, where she taught Home Economics. She was very proud that she could feed seven on a monthly budget of $200.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:26 PM

334 posts, read 532,993 times
Here are a few links on the subject. There appear to be several ways to accomplish this. These methods are feeding families of 4 for $150.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/feedhusbandself$150.htm

Woman supports family of 5 for $150 DOLLARS a month by cutting coupons | Daily Mail Online

A Month of Groceries for a Family of Four – Under $150 | Personal Finance News

Make 20 Meals to Feed a Family of Four for $150 and One Trip to Costco

How to Feed Your Family for $100 a Month: My Year-End Grocery Budget

Budget101.com - - Surviving on a Budget- $10 grocery list | Groceries when you're Broke

Old 12-06-2014, 03:41 PM

5,721 posts, read 7,427,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
I spend about $100 a month, max. I really think it's more around $80 a month. I always eat at home and eat everything I buy to the last crumb.
Really! What do you eat?

Old 12-06-2014, 04:16 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,174,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Really! What do you eat?
Rice, beans, oatmeal, spaghetti, tuna- these are all pretty inexpensive staples. Chicken is versatile and an inexpensive meat.

Eating out is what costs a lot, same if you eat large portions of expensive cuts of beef.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:56 AM

1,548 posts, read 903,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
Really! What do you eat?
I don't eat a lot of meat. I love noodles. I also eat smaller portions, and sit down to eat 3 times, no snacking between. For example, breakfast every work day is one cup cold cereal + milk. That's it. Weekends I don't eat breakfast. Work day lunch is maybe a sandwich and water. Sometimes I skip lunch. I think those 2 meals is where I save the most. Plus not eating out at all. Keep in mind, it's just me I'm buying food for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living