Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 11:39 PM

690 posts, read 2,107,744 times

Advertisements

I don't usually pay close attention to food prices, so I wanted to ask someone with more expertise than me. I went to my usually grocery store and took note of some of the prices for what I might buy this weekend. The best price for chicken was $2.80/lb. This evening, I got an ad from another grocery store advertising chicken at $1.77/lb. Is this a really good deal or not? If so, I think I'm going to buy like 15 or 20 pounds. That would keep me going for four months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 08:45 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson4381 View Post
I don't usually pay close attention to food prices, so I wanted to ask someone with more expertise than me. I went to my usually grocery store and took note of some of the prices for what I might buy this weekend. The best price for chicken was $2.80/lb. This evening, I got an ad from another grocery store advertising chicken at $1.77/lb. Is this a really good deal or not? If so, I think I'm going to buy like 15 or 20 pounds. That would keep me going for four months or so.
Depends on where you are. That's close to the lowest it will go for boneless skinless in my area. But if you're good with a boning knife, you can get often get split chicken breast for .99/lb on sale, and use the bones for homemade stock.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
I kept a price journal on things I regularly bought for about 6 months when I was learning prices in a new area. It helps you see the patterns ... like I learned bonless skinless chicken breasts went on sale every 5 weeks at my usual store. My price journal read 2.59#, 2.99#, 2.59#, 2.29#, 1.99#, 2.59#, 2.99#, 2.59#, 2.29#, 1.99#.

Also learned, every 8 weeks they ran whole chickens at 79 cents a pound

After awhile, you just *know* when you're seeing a good price on something that you use all the time.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I kept a price journal on things I regularly bought for about 6 months when I was learning prices in a new area. It helps you see the patterns ... like I learned bonless skinless chicken breasts went on sale every 5 weeks at my usual store. My price journal read 2.59#, 2.99#, 2.59#, 2.29#, 1.99#, 2.59#, 2.99#, 2.59#, 2.29#, 1.99#.

Also learned, every 8 weeks they ran whole chickens at 79 cents a pound

After awhile, you just *know* when you're seeing a good price on something that you use all the time.
Good suggestion. The whole chickens I saw were really cheap...I think they were $.80. I thought about buying one and then just putting it in a slow cooker to get the meat off the bones. I asked my mom about it, though, and she said that there would be a lot of waste and she thought the boneless chicken would be a better deal.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Good suggestion. The whole chickens I saw were really cheap...I think they were $.80. I thought about buying one and then just putting it in a slow cooker to get the meat off the bones. I asked my mom about it, though, and she said that there would be a lot of waste and she thought the boneless chicken would be a better deal.
Gotta disagree with your Mom

For $3.20, I can get at least 2 dinners and 2 lunches out of one 4# chicken ... plus 1 to 2 quarts of home-made chicken broth from the carcass.

(Although by personal preferences, I won't do whole chickens in the slow cooker - the skin is just too icky for me that way)

Old 07-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Gotta disagree with your Mom

For $3.20, I can get at least 2 dinners and 2 lunches out of one 4# chicken ... plus 1 to 2 quarts of home-made chicken broth from the carcass.

(Although by personal preferences, I won't do whole chickens in the slow cooker - the skin is just too icky for me that way)
Hmm...well, I can honestly say I've never cooked a whole chicken on my own before. So, I have no idea how much waste there is. At $.80/lb, though, I guess it's worth a shot.

Do you prefer to bake it?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM

I'll send you a PM, so I don't hi-jack the thread with recipes :-)

Old 07-30-2009, 11:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Hey there! Sounds like Gandalara is helping you out, but I also wanted to chime in that buying the whole chicken is usually the most cost-effective way to buy chicken. We're a family of four and I can spread one whole chicken out into four whole meals. I cook a whole chicken in our slow cooker, then remove the meat from the bones, put it in an air-tight container in the fridge, and go from there. (Don't forget to use the bones for making your own stock. It's so much better than just plain broth, although broth will do in a pinch, too, it just won't taste as good.)

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
I just did the shopping today and spent $129.00 for enough food to last my family for the next two weeks. All of that was food, no body care items or pet items or anything else. It is Summer, though! I have to say that we do eat lighter in the summer, and heavier in winter, and our grocery spending reflects that.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:26 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,475,039 times
I would say it is cheaper for me in the winter. We use baked potatoes with some simple toppings, frozen veggies, big pots of chili with lots of beans, and ohter things where we can use oven.

Summer brings the great farmer's markets with the fresh veggies for salads and lots of sweet corn and ripe tomatoes. We pay premium to buy off the truck here in town and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living