Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times

Advertisements

Yes, CFL bulbs. I've replace all my incandescent bulbs with CFLs, then promptly replaced those cfl bulbs with yet more cfl bulbs. Has anybody else noticed that we are replacing our cfl bulbs much more frequently than we ever ever did with the incandescent ones? I have. And yesterday I decided to start a collection of burnt bulbs. So far, yesterday alone, I have two. Anyone else jump on that band wagon of trying to knock our electric bills down by replacing incandescent bulbs only to find we are spending more and more on our replacement CFLs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Not all CFL bulbs are the same or operate the same in each household.

There are many factors that can reduce the life of CFL's (ie heat/cycling/etc).

I am happy with mine even though the color was not close to daylight and its more expensive to dim (over incandescents and LED's), but the technology has gotten better....

Be careful about painting w/a broad brush...

Old 04-22-2013, 10:03 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
I have my entire 2 BR condo done in CFL and LED lighting. Switching more and more over to LED's or any other cool trendy lighting. Not doing it to save money...but more for upgrading to modern technology.

My last months electric bill was $15.

I've had the current batch of CFL's and LED's installed for over a year with no issues.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

176 posts, read 583,914 times
It was probably a mistake to switch all your light bulbs. Basically the ones you use for long periods of time should be switched, while those which are a quick turn on then turn off--and used in total for only a few hours a year should not be switched.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
It was probably a mistake to switch all your light bulbs. Basically the ones you use for long periods of time should be switched, while those which are a quick turn on then turn off--and used in total for only a few hours a year should not be switched.
Good point.

My dining room we still have the warm white incandescents (on a dimmer) because we don't use them nearly as much (8 - 40w candlelabra bulbs) as the other rooms in the house (where the payback can justify it)

Old 04-22-2013, 10:12 AM

I've had good luck with the 40w CFLs , and only because they are left on over 12 hours a day. The ones in the bathroom are 26w, and it seems once a month, one of them is burning out. I have 4 CFLs in the kitchen, and its the same thing. I read a review of the cfl bulbs and the review said that to keep them from prematurely burning them out, its important to keep them on for at least 2 hours. And then you can safely turn them off. Now, if I have to remember to do that each and every time, that's freakin BS!

Old 04-22-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
I suspect your right about that. The problem is though, that anything over 75w incandescent wise has been discontinued. I like my kitchen BRIGHT. And my bathroom, and my bedroom. Lol

Old 04-22-2013, 10:18 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
I have gone back and gotten rid of all CFLs. If nothing else, the light is hideous and I don't want a mercury spill in my home. I have regular old bulbs and some halogens. I will try replacing some of these with LEDs moving forward. Halogens and incandescent produce some heat that is actually desired at certain times of the year here but definitely not in the summer.

You should be able to find brighter halogens, but 75 watt and above is very bright. Have you tried any LEDs? Some of them claim to be "100" or "120 watt" equivalent.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:23 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have my entire 2 BR condo done in CFL and LED lighting. Switching more and more over to LED's or any other cool trendy lighting. Not doing it to save money...but more for upgrading to modern technology.

My last months electric bill was $15.

I've had the current batch of CFL's and LED's installed for over a year with no issues.
What was your electric bill before you replaced the lights?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I have gone back and gotten rid of all CFLs. If nothing else, the light is hideous and I don't want a mercury spill in my home. I have regular old bulbs and some halogens. I will try replacing some of these with LEDs moving forward. Halogens and incandescent produce some heat that is actually desired at certain times of the year here but definitely not in the summer.

You should be able to find brighter halogens, but 75 watt and above is very bright. Have you tried any LEDs? Some of them claim to be "100" or "120 watt" equivalent.
I have looked into led, but non that are able to replace my CFLs. Do most leds require a special bulb socket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living