Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:43 PM

416 posts, read 628,182 times

Advertisements

Usually $40-60 a week, occasionally close to $80 for one week. Just me, though I sometimes share with my brother who is my roommate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 03:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,361,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
As the thread progresses, we will see how everyone's food budget varies according to their location.
True! I get a kick out of the differences!
Example - on one side of the Colorado River in CA, a dozen eggs cost + or - $2. If you go to the AZ side, they're 89 cents.

And (to me anyway), food budget also includes all foods - restaurants, work lunches, a splurge at "That Coffee Place", etc etc

Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
That's insanity IMO their "thrifty" is still almost 2 times what I pay a week..

We are running between 60 and 70 a week, for two adults, a 2 year old and a five year old. This doesn't count detergent/household items, but that runs MAYBE 20-30 a month. so total for my month it's about 310

oh and that's all natural/some organic..

We live in a suburb of Wash DC in Maryland.
That's amazing. The natural grass fed beef that we buy is almost $12 a pound. We can easily spend $100 on meat for two weeks. That is just the going rate around here. We looked into buffalo, but it is even more expensive.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-30-2010, 06:45 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,775,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
That's amazing. The natural grass fed beef that we buy is almost $12 a pound. We can easily spend $100 on meat for two weeks. That is just the going rate around here. We looked into buffalo, but it is even more expensive.

20yrsinBranson
You should cut a deal with a local farmer and see if you can buy a cow or 1/2 cow; pay him a price per pound on the hoof and then pay for your portion for the processors fees. $12/lb for grass fed Missouri beef is, IMO way high!

I pay about $25-30/week for food, sans meat except chicken. I hope to cut that in half this year with a good garden. I hunt for the rest of my meat or buy a 1/4 angus yearling steer from a local farmer which averages with processing less than $4/lb dressed.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:33 PM

16,349 posts, read 30,059,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
You should cut a deal with a local farmer and see if you can buy a cow or 1/2 cow; pay him a price per pound on the hoof and then pay for your portion for the processors fees. $12/lb for grass fed Missouri beef is, IMO way high!
If you are SERIOUS about getting a steer finished "your way", head down to the local county fair around Labor Day. Start talking around to the kids in the beef barn and see if any are interested in raising a steer for you. Many will do it for you at a very reasonable price.

We used to do that quite often preferring beef finished on corn.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 PM

516 posts, read 1,370,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson

We occasionally do grass fed beef, I think we normally pay 9 dollars a pound for it... obviously not an every week thing for us. We do a lot of no hormone, no antibiotic chicken. We occasionally buy buffalo patties.. but that's about 6.99 per meal for us.

Do you have a trader joe's near you? that's really our saving grace!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,005,209 times
$35-40 a week, often less, and this includes houshold items.
2 people, 2 large dogs.

We dont eat junk, I use coupons for almost everything, and I stockpile non-perishables (Detergent, paper towels, dish soap, etc)

Things between us that arent wanted are mixed with the dogs food.Nothing goes to waste.

Im good like that.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,565 posts, read 57,493,759 times
$3/day or precisely $100 / month for food and entertainment. When the envelope is empty, I'm done eating. This is generally for ONE, but has worked for 3 when some boomerang kids reappeared.

I shop sales / lost leaders. Cook 100% from scratch, plenty of Fruit & Veggies. If it is over $0.50 / # I don't need it (occasionally I splurge) . Fortunately there is a produce place nearby that currently has Pears and Apples for $.09. Bananas for $.39 and celery, lettuce, and carrots for $.50/#)

Fresh Fruit smoothies and oatmeal are regular menu items. $4.99 rotisserie chicken makes meals for a week + stock for soup. BBQ a few $.10/# turkeys @ Thanksgiving and freeze them for burritos and soups.

Blueberries are abundant in yard + blackberries and asparagus are free (in season).

Even the fuel for my 50 mpg car is free (fryer grease).

50 mpg since 1976, where have you been? (no Dinosaurs or OPEC required)

Now for healthcare & property taxes.... (~$30 / day ...) EACH

Quote:
We occasionally do grass fed beef, I think we normally pay 9 dollars a pound for it...
Holy Cow!!! as a 'past' farm kid you make me very HAPPY. Yippee, currently a friend (neighbor) produces organic Limousin beef for $2.50/#. If I ever need any, I just feed / build fence for him a few hrs. I survive pretty well on wild salmon, sometimes I need to buy from the Indians ~ $3/#.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-30-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-31-2010, 11:02 AM

15,853 posts, read 35,004,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
We occasionally do grass fed beef, I think we normally pay 9 dollars a pound for it... obviously not an every week thing for us. We do a lot of no hormone, no antibiotic chicken. We occasionally buy buffalo patties.. but that's about 6.99 per meal for us.

Do you have a trader joe's near you? that's really our saving grace!
I wish there were. The closest one is 250 miles in St. Louis. If I am ever up there, I'll definitely stop and check it out. I've heard so much about them.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-31-2010, 11:06 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,928,219 times
Quote:
Apples for $.09. Bananas for $.39
9 cents a pound!? Or 9 cents each? Hell, either way that is a sick deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living