Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM

516 posts, read 1,371,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I wish there were. The closest one is 250 miles in St. Louis. If I am ever up there, I'll definitely stop and check it out. I've heard so much about them.

20yrsinBranson
Bummer!
I wish Trader Joe's were as prevelant as Walmart. hahaha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:17 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,178,633 times
$500 a month for 2 adults and that includes all household items. I cook mostly from scratch but I am still looking to reduce this amount. Part of the reason it's so much is that my hubby has to have a protein with every dinner (chicken,fish,pork etc.) I wish the amount were lower but I know that we are saving a lot by basically eating out MAYBE once a month. I do what I can to save money

Old 03-31-2010, 11:21 AM

My hubby also refuses to go without a protein at dinner!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:28 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,178,633 times
Forgot to add that I find CVS VERY expensive! And their Extra Care Bucks are usually for things I don't need. I'm wondering how people find their prices reasonable???

Old 03-31-2010, 11:30 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,066,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
True! I get a kick out of the differences!
Example - on one side of the Colorado River in CA, a dozen eggs cost + or - $2. If you go to the AZ side, they're 89 cents.
WOWSA!

Old 03-31-2010, 11:33 AM

628 posts, read 2,036,970 times
for those with high costs of meat I recommend looking into purchasing in bulk from local suppliers--I am able to purchase a quarter of a cow (that's a lot of meat) from a grass fed local farm for around $400--it's great! (just to let you know that's around 50 lbs of hamburger alone!)

I would say my husband and I average around $75 a week in groceries.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 AM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Bummer!
I wish Trader Joe's were as prevelant as Walmart. hahaha
I never go to Trader Joe's. Their prices are too high, and they don't have good selection of the types of items that I buy.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,577 posts, read 57,515,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
9 cents a pound!? Or 9 cents each? Hell, either way that is a sick deal!
no - a Slick deal
9 cents / # ~3 cents each. I had 3 in my breakfast smoothie + 3 fresh (Free) oranges from 'gleaning' in SoCA last week. (+ yogurt, +frozen rasp, black, blue, and strawberries, yum)

Cheap fruit is not the 'waxed' pretty stuff, probably destined for processing, kinda scabby and disfigured.(As a previous fruit grower, I call that 'character!') The sizes of this fruit is terrific (less cores ) radius of this AM's pear was 28cm (11"), Now that thar is a KEEPER! There are rows and rows of fruit bins (4' sq plywood pallets) You can pick to your pleasure. 10# of great WA potatoes for $1.49. And fresh Walla Walla onions coming soon!

I don't take any of this for granted (fresh salmon, steelhead, fruit, garden produce, and free wild berries + untold hunting options). Many organic meat growers locally. There is even a mobile 'Farmers Market' (that is a terrific idea).
Gorge Grown Mobile Farmers' Market | Gorge Grown Food Network
Hopefully we can fund a mobile meat processor soon, like our neighbors 4 hrs north Mobile Meat Processing Unit, Lopez Community Land Trust — Sustainable Northwest

Old 03-31-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I never go to Trader Joe's. Their prices are too high, and they don't have good selection of the types of items that I buy.

Really? I feed a family of four on 60-70 dollars a week, purchasing food from Trader Joe's about 99 percent of the time..

Have you ever been in there? I don't mean to be rude but I don't know why so many people think it's expensive.. Now sure, some items will be a bit more, but I mean, heck even milk is only 2.99 a gallon! lol

Old 03-31-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
$3/day or precisely $100 / month for food and entertainment. When the envelope is empty, I'm done eating. This is generally for ONE, but has worked for 3 when some boomerang kids reappeared.

I shop sales / lost leaders. Cook 100% from scratch, plenty of Fruit & Veggies. If it is over $0.50 / # I don't need it (occasionally I splurge) . Fortunately there is a produce place nearby that currently has Pears and Apples for $.09. Bananas for $.39 and celery, lettuce, and carrots for $.50/#)

Fresh Fruit smoothies and oatmeal are regular menu items. $4.99 rotisserie chicken makes meals for a week + stock for soup. BBQ a few $.10/# turkeys @ Thanksgiving and freeze them for burritos and soups.

Blueberries are abundant in yard + blackberries and asparagus are free (in season).

Even the fuel for my 50 mpg car is free (fryer grease).

50 mpg since 1976, where have you been? (no Dinosaurs or OPEC required)

Now for healthcare & property taxes.... (~$30 / day ...) EACH

Holy Cow!!! as a 'past' farm kid you make me very HAPPY. Yippee, currently a friend (neighbor) produces organic Limousin beef for $2.50/#. If I ever need any, I just feed / build fence for him a few hrs. I survive pretty well on wild salmon, sometimes I need to buy from the Indians ~ $3/#.
That sounds awesome. Good for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living