Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM

15,111 posts, read 32,137,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Really? I feed a family of four on 60-70 dollars a week, purchasing food from Trader Joe's about 99 percent of the time..

Have you ever been in there? I don't mean to be rude but I don't know why so many people think it's expensive.. Now sure, some items will be a bit more, but I mean, heck even milk is only 2.99 a gallon! lol
Now why would I have said that it's too expensive, if I've never been in there? Yes, I've been in there, I do price comparisons everywhere I go. I have no use for a gallon of milk, because I only drink soy milk.

I shop mainly in the ethnic grocery stores for produce and most of my meat, Walmart (and sometimes Target) for non-perishable foods, and use coupons for what's on sale at the chain stores and drug stores that I need. I stock up when I find a good sale that I can use my coupons on. Right now hams are on sale ($.87/$.88lb) for Easter, and since I have a $5.00 off coupon for one of the chain stores that has them on sale, I'll buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:52 PM

516 posts, read 1,371,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Now why would I have said that it's too expensive, if I've never been in there? Yes, I've been in there, I do price comparisons everywhere I go. I have no use for a gallon of milk, because I only drink soy milk.

I shop mainly in the ethnic grocery stores for produce and most of my meat, Walmart (and sometimes Target) for non-perishable foods, and use coupons for what's on sale at the chain stores and drug stores that I need. I stock up when I find a good sale that I can use my coupons on. Right now hams are on sale ($.87/$.88lb) for Easter, and since I have a $5.00 off coupon for one of the chain stores that has them on sale, I'll buy one.

Because a lot of people assume that it's like Whole Foods. If I had a quarter for every person that has said "Trader Joe's is too expensive" but never went there I'd be rich! lol

I mean, it may not be ideal for you, but to say it's "too expensive" only perpetuates the rumor that it's super expensive. But honestly I guess if I didn't care what I ate I may be able to get better deals at Walmart or something, but I read all ingredients and only buy high quality food..

Old 03-31-2010, 02:06 PM

1,474 posts, read 4,975,921 times
$100 on japanese grocery, $200 on other asian, $150 on other stuff, per week. dont get me started on baby stuff, home care/project stuff

Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM

There are no Super Walmarts/Targets here to buy meat at. Even if they did, I would continue the way that I shop now. Does Trader Joe's ever have boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.29/lb. One of the ethnic grocery stores that I shop does, and they have the sale once per month. Depending on how full my freezer is at the time, I'll buy 10-20lbs and freeze it in seal-a-meal bags

Old 03-31-2010, 02:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,032,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
(I am including supplements into this since, legally they are classified as "food").

There are two of us and I would say that we spend approximately $200 per week - less in the summer when our garden is going.

Food is our number one priority and we do not skimp on anything as far as quality is concerned.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
It does not seem like people could be eating very well at those levels. Processed foods with lots of filler and chemical preservatives are cheap. Eating well is in an investment.

20yrsinbranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
True! I get a kick out of the differences!
Example - on one side of the Colorado River in CA, a dozen eggs cost + or - $2. If you go to the AZ side, they're 89 cents.

And (to me anyway), food budget also includes all foods - restaurants, work lunches, a splurge at "That Coffee Place", etc etc
Quote:
That's amazing. The natural grass fed beef that we buy is almost $12 a pound. We can easily spend $100 on meat for two weeks. That is just the going rate around here. We looked into buffalo, but it is even more expensive.

20yrsinBranson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
$100 on japanese grocery, $200 on other asian, $150 on other stuff, per week. dont get me started on baby stuff, home care/project stuff
So is Steve ARMY what you are feeding? You must have a great job.

As to the "less than $100 on meat alone" means that people are eating unhealthy is truly arrogant and ignorant as well.

We eat very healthy and lots of meat, fresh produce.

My weekly bill for 2 adults and 2 cats and food bank donations of at least $100 value is:

$50.

That includes all HABA and cleaning supplies.

I take advantage of sales, sometimes buying something I personally won't use in order to get what I DO use either free or very low cost. Then I donate what I don't use. I don't take a tax write-off because it's too much work. Besides, I'm already saving so much that most of what I donate works out to pennies on the dollar OOP for me. That's it's a lot of work for not a big deal so forget the tax deductions.

This week Chock Full of Nuts coffee works out to 50c per small can. I am stocking up - again. My last stock up was at 25c per can and I bought 100 cans (I was down to 8 cans last week). Generally we go through 2 cans per week - except when we have a party and I use a full can (parties are about every 3-4 weeks).

My husband loves his eggs, which I buy in bulk for less than $1/doz and when there's a sale on meat, I stock up. This week it's ham, early March is corned beef, and a few weeks before that was roaster chicken at around 59c a lb. I stock up. My freezers have a dedicated place for each different meat, fruits, and veggies. Right now my poultry takes up 2 shelves and my pork shelf is stuffed. I generally get 4-5 turkeys around Thanksgiving and I donate 2-3 of them. This year was a good one and I had 8 turkeys. I still have 3. I will cook one in the spring for our first party and another mid-summer. It's not so bad to roast a turkey overnight and then have cold turkey for recipes a few nights that week.

If one wishes to be a food snob, it is easy to do without spending a fortune; you just have to spend a little time and have patience.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:59 PM

7,064 posts, read 12,569,030 times
For those who say their spouses insist on a protein for dinner, that should be clarified to say their spouses insist on an "Animal Protein" as some whole grains such as amaranth and quinoa contain up to 19% high-quality protein that costs way less than $12-$19/lb. and is far healthier than animal-based protein--and they won't clog the arteries the way high cholestorol fatty animal proteins do.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
There are no Super Walmarts/Targets here to buy meat at. Even if they did, I would continue the way that I shop now. Does Trader Joe's ever have boneless chicken breasts on sale for $1.29/lb. One of the ethnic grocery stores that I shop does, and they have the sale once per month. Depending on how full my freezer is at the time, I'll buy 10-20lbs and freeze it in seal-a-meal bags

They sure don't. But what kind of quality is the ethnic store that you shop? Is it free range chicken? No antibiotics/no hormones/etc?

My 'chicken' budget is about 10 dollars for two weeks..so I'm fine with paying a bit more because I save in other ways.. like for instance, pizza dough. Basically homemade pizza dough for 1.00! Can't find prices like that anywhere especially for the quality.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
For those who say their spouses insist on a protein for dinner, that should be clarified to say their spouses insist on an "Animal Protein" as some whole grains such as amaranth and quinoa contain up to 19% high-quality protein that costs way less than $12-$19/lb. and is far healthier than animal-based protein--and they won't clog the arteries the way high cholestorol fatty animal proteins do.

True, true.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
They sure don't. But what kind of quality is the ethnic store that you shop? Is it free range chicken? No antibiotics/no hormones/etc?

My 'chicken' budget is about 10 dollars for two weeks..so I'm fine with paying a bit more because I save in other ways.. like for instance, pizza dough. Basically homemade pizza dough for 1.00! Can't find prices like that anywhere especially for the quality.
I don't buy organic or free range. I'm not rich. I buy what I need, and stock up. I shop when I have the money to shop, and I'm always on a budget.

I'm not dead yet from eating non free range/antibiotic/hormone free food, and I'm sure others aren't either. If that's the only kind of meat you'll eat and buy it, that's fine, but it makes no difference to me.

To each their own.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I don't buy organic or free range. I'm not rich. I buy what I need, and stock up. I shop when I have the money to shop, and I'm always on a budget.

I'm not dead yet from eating non free range/antibiotic/hormone free food, and I'm sure others aren't either.

If that's the only kind of meat you'll eat and buy it, that's fine, but it makes no difference to me. To each their own.

hahahahahha I'm not rich either..... I don't know where that came up.

But in all honesty, I think it's a travesty for anyone to think that only the rich can afford good, whole foods... I'm not dead either from years of antibiotics and hormones, but I can certainly said I'm not better off because of it. Maybe I'm more into it because my hubby was diagnosed with cancer at the ripe age of 28.. but I mean, honestly it doesn't take a lot of money to care about what you eat.

You are right, to each their own... I just hate the 'myth' about Trader Joe's being expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living