Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,358,788 times

Advertisements

My husband and I laugh that some weeks half our cart is liquids. I drink 3 gallons of milk a week, by myself. Other than that, I only drink a lot of water, and our tap water is just fine, after going through a filter, anyway. Add to that the PowerAde, Tea, V8 and some soda that my husband drinks, and we have a lot of beverages in our cart.

So when I saw you said one gallon of milk for 8 days (and you mentioned "our freezer", so I'm guessing there is more than one of you), I had to laugh. I guess you only use it on the cereal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2010, 11:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,570 posts, read 57,493,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
So when I saw you said one gallon of milk for 8 days ... I had to laugh. I guess you only use it on the cereal.
1/2 gal milk lasts 10 - 14 days in our house (generally feeding 2). (if the kids don't come to visit or drain the ref while no one is home, if they do, I wait, as I get it on-sale, once every 2 wks).

It gets used everyday for something, usually cooking or oatmeal.

Having grown up on a dairy farm, I guess I had my 'fill' in an earlier life (fill of lots of stuff...manure on school clothes, county fairs, getting up at 4 am 7 days / week)

(I do have to buy 1 gal / week when making homemade ice cream every week during 'fresh berry season' ~ June - Aug). Milk's still under $2 / gal around these parts (barely... $1.99)

I drink 1gal water / day, but usually nothing else (as far a liquids).

Old 04-03-2010, 08:54 AM

516 posts, read 1,370,830 times
Normally we do two gallons a week but we had a bit left from last week and now that it's in the 80s I prefer the kids to drink water moreso than milk...

Old 04-03-2010, 09:04 AM

516 posts, read 1,370,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I could get all this for about $20-$25, excluding what I don't eat.
two lbs of ground beef - how lean? - 85/15 1.99 #
tomato .79 each
two potatoes - what kind - brown, red or white? - white .39 each
two boxes of no junk mac & cheese @ .99 a box
pack of chicken drumsticks 1.29 #
bag of no preservative potato wedges 1.99 pack
loaf of bread - white, wheat or whole grain? - wheat, whole grain 2.50 a loaf
gallon of milk -what kind - whole, skim, or fat free? - whole 2.99
about 10 bananas @ .19 a piece
3 apples @ .49 a piece
2 oranges @ .49 a piece
pack of provolone - store brand or name brand? - trader joes, no hormone/rbt - 3.99 pack
turkey lunch meat - preservatives and lots of sodium - not a ton of sodium considering our diet, so that's okay by me.. 4.XX no nitrates, natural preservatives
heavy cream - 1.99
chicken broth - salted or unsalted? unsalted all natural 1.99
butter - salted or unsalted unsalted 2.99
mushrooms - canned or bulk? jarred with garlic 2.99 (enough for two meals)
shredded cheese - store brand or name brand? Trader Joes, I wouldn't do it otherwise 2.99
two bags of broccoli - whole or florets? - florets 1.99 a bag
2 lbs of organic strawberries - 6.00
6 large bottles of water - store brand or name brand? - Trader Joes, .69 cents a bottle
cereal what kind - generic or name brand? Joe's O's can't beat 1.99

Old 04-08-2010, 06:20 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,714,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
Title says it How much do you spend on Groceries per week and how many people are in your family?
2 people, $100 a month.

Old 04-08-2010, 08:16 PM

15,110 posts, read 32,130,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post
two lbs of ground beef - how lean? - 85/15 1.99 #
tomato .79 each
two potatoes - what kind - brown, red or white? - white .39 each
two boxes of no junk mac & cheese @ .99 a box
pack of chicken drumsticks 1.29 #
bag of no preservative potato wedges 1.99 pack
loaf of bread - white, wheat or whole grain? - wheat, whole grain 2.50 a loaf
gallon of milk -what kind - whole, skim, or fat free? - whole 2.99
about 10 bananas @ .19 a piece
3 apples @ .49 a piece
2 oranges @ .49 a piece
pack of provolone - store brand or name brand? - trader joes, no hormone/rbt - 3.99 pack
turkey lunch meat - preservatives and lots of sodium - not a ton of sodium considering our diet, so that's okay by me.. 4.XX no nitrates, natural preservatives
heavy cream - 1.99
chicken broth - salted or unsalted? unsalted all natural 1.99
butter - salted or unsalted unsalted 2.99
mushrooms - canned or bulk? jarred with garlic 2.99 (enough for two meals)
shredded cheese - store brand or name brand? Trader Joes, I wouldn't do it otherwise 2.99
two bags of broccoli - whole or florets? - florets 1.99 a bag
2 lbs of organic strawberries - 6.00
6 large bottles of water - store brand or name brand? - Trader Joes, .69 cents a bottle
cereal what kind - generic or name brand? Joe's O's can't beat 1.99
This is expensive! Trader Joe's is very expensive, I can buy the same food for much less. I'm not concerned about my meat being hormone and antibiotic free, and I haven't died from eating it, and I will continue to shop the way that I always do.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,585,093 times
I pay for everything with a credit card, that gives me 3% cash back on groceries. A typical month will be less than $100 for one person, but there is probably another $10 for an occasional junk-food lunch.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:11 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,011,274 times
Between $650-$850 for a family of four, depending on the time of year. We spend more in the winter than in the summer. I rarely use coupons and shop at a regular run-of-the-mill grocery store for staples. We have our dairy delivered weekly.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 04-12-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 04-14-2010, 01:00 AM

830 posts, read 2,702,810 times
Quote:
There are no WinCo's in Southern California, unfortunately.
I never saw or heard of WinCo until I was in Southern CA. I do love their bulk bins.

I aim for about $40 a week for one person, excluding cat litter and pet food. Love Trader Joes, and stock up whenever I get there (closest one is 2.5 hours away, near the Winco) on some of my favorites.

I don't eat meat, so that's a big cost saver. I don't generally buy beverages other than milk and tea.

If I'm organized and plan my meals to make from scratch for the week, I can easily undercut my goal. If I buy more prepared/processed foods I go over a bit (in other words, that's not in fact cheaper than a cart full of veggies and simple foods).

My 2 chickens lay more than enough eggs for me, so much that I give them away and occasionally bake poundcake! I buy a bag of feed for $13 about every 4 months or so for them and they eat bugs and grass as well. But I don't have them primarily for cost saving - they're welcome to live out their lives here loooong after they stop pumping out eggs as they do nowadays.

Now gas to go buy the food is another story!

Old 04-14-2010, 07:29 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,006,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
2 people, $100 a month.
You're serious?? You must be the world's best coupon user/shopper to pull that off. Or you just don't eat much at all and/or live on ramen noodles.

We use coupons on almost everything we buy & shop the grocery sales, and still spend $250-$300 most months for the 2 of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living