Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 06:32 AM
RHB RHB started this thread

1,098 posts, read 2,139,418 times

Advertisements

sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper to use paper plates, or my regular plates.

I know it would save time, no washing or putting away. I would save "clutter", no sitting out waiting to be washed or put away.

But would it be cheaper?

By the time you add the water, utilities to heat the water, dish soap, are paper plates cheaper?

I'm thinking one would need 2 different types, the really cheap ones for light stuff, and heavier ones for the heavier meals.

We have shifted from paper napkins to cloth, the little bit more it adds to the towel load has really no effect on the bills, so cloth is cheaper, and just as easy.

I don't really like the idea of the "throw away" society. I don't think overall disposables are a good idea...but seeing ads for paper plates, made me wonder.

As I type this, I'm thinking not...you would still have to wash the pots and pans, silverware, and glasses, so what's a few dishes in the mix.

I do have some paper plates, to use when power goes out (I have a well, so no power means no water, and I don't want to use my reserve to wash dishes)

Has anyone actually done the math?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 AM

96 posts, read 263,822 times
i hate the idea of "the throw-away" society.

paper plates:
- reusable up to three times
- makes for good kindling on a bonfire
- lightweight; portable
- the sturdy, heavy duty ones make good fans on a hot day
- you can bring them on hiking or camping trips but after one use, that's it
- they take up space as in camping bag or trash
- they attract flies almost instantaneously if not bagged up

washable plates:
- they're washable either by hand or dishwasher
- you can bring a couple on hiking or camping trips and reuse them
- you can cut steak on them whereas you can't do so with paper plates
- less expensive in the long run
- steel plates last longer, and if you have them when you're lost, you could use it to reflect the rays of the sun and get help

for me, i'd take washable plates over paper ones cuz once you're out of paper plates, you have to buy another set to fill up your traash bag

Old 05-29-2010, 09:28 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,898,346 times
It would be intersting to see a spreadsheet on that.
Lite wight vs Heavy weight Paper
Hand washing vs dishwasher Plates
burn vs toss

Old 05-29-2010, 10:57 AM

23,510 posts, read 69,890,838 times
Pocket bread sandwiches on a sheet of (used) copy paper. Fish n' Chips wrapped in newspaper. Kabobs. There are other foods with no dishes involved.

Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
sometimes I wonder if it would be cheaper to use paper plates, or my regular plates.

I know it would save time, no washing or putting away. I would save "clutter", no sitting out waiting to be washed or put away.

But would it be cheaper?

By the time you add the water, utilities to heat the water, dish soap, are paper plates cheaper?

I'm thinking one would need 2 different types, the really cheap ones for light stuff, and heavier ones for the heavier meals.

We have shifted from paper napkins to cloth, the little bit more it adds to the towel load has really no effect on the bills, so cloth is cheaper, and just as easy.

I don't really like the idea of the "throw away" society. I don't think overall disposables are a good idea...but seeing ads for paper plates, made me wonder.

As I type this, I'm thinking not...you would still have to wash the pots and pans, silverware, and glasses, so what's a few dishes in the mix.

I do have some paper plates, to use when power goes out (I have a well, so no power means no water, and I don't want to use my reserve to wash dishes)

Has anyone actually done the math?
IMO the defined moderate use of paper plates is a cost saver when you consider the energy & time it takes to run water either for hand washing or a dishwasher.

Then there is the very real benefit that a dishwasher offers of getting , and keeping, the water hot enough to sterilize the dishes to help avoid colds & flu ,as well as other bacteria and germs, in the battle against illness.

That said, we've always believed that paper was worth the cost for all the side benefits of time, energy cost as well as better health. There are many kitchen items that must be washed due to size or purpose so those items always get run in the dishwasher.

There are some things in life that you just can't put a price on...........

Old 05-29-2010, 05:44 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
I got my washables at thrift shops for maybe 25c each, I've had them for more than five years, and I wash them without soap. Just hot water and hand rub them. I haven't had a cold in maybe five years.

When I'm reheating leftovers in a saucepan, I use a plate for a pot lid, and it gets nice and hot, and helps keep my meal hot while I'm eating it.

Same with towels. I use launderable cloth for kitchen or table wipes.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:01 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,853,077 times
Maybe it all depends on how many people are in the family and what sorts of foods you eat. I live alone now and eat lots of frozen meals due to my work schedule. After cooking, I even put the food on a regular plate so it feels more like a real meal. Only takes a drop of soap to wash my daily dishes.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,548 posts, read 57,460,499 times
Eat out of the pan, saves on plates and forests (or use the 'Community Hog Trough').

Take a couple days / week off from eating at all, save more and stay healthy (has worked for me for over 30 yrs).

I will admit I haven't had a frozen dinner since I left home @ age 16 nearly 40 yrs ago.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:12 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,498,023 times
My ex-room mate had the best of worlds. I would find my dishes in the trash when he finished.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:10 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,588,969 times
I use the plastic "throw away" bowls and cups, they last for months. My cat has been using her one plastic bowl now for 6 months, and still washes up fine. Use small glass plates if needed, easier to wash.

PS I do have nice dishes, just hate to have to wash and put them away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living