Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:16 AM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times

Advertisements

For those of us who are going to interviews, attending networking events where dressing professional and looking one's best may help... what are the brands and stores that are selling good quality suits for a bargain?

In the book The Millionaire Next Door JC Penny's Stafford Executive brand was cited as being of very good value. They do seem to have some nice stuff online but trying to go find it in-store is another story.

Any other suggestions on good suit deals?

I'm a guy but let's open it up to suits for both men and women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 11:42 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
Agree that the Penney's Stafford line is very good quality for the price. A couple of times a year they have great sales on them as well.

You can go to Penney's and be measured and they will order the suit for you in your size if it's not in stock. Then you come back once it comes in and they will do the alterations.

The Stafford shirts are good, but frankly the quality to price ratio for the Brooks Brothers no iron is better--in fact the best we've ever found. They cost twice as much but you get three times as much wear out of them before they need to be retired.

Macy's often has great sales on mens suits as well, and usually has a great tie selection.

For women's business attire, the sale racks at Macy's are where it's at! I bought a $700 Calvin Klein Collection suit for $115 on sale at Macy's! Kohl's is another great place to look for women's business wear, not so much for men's though. And Burlington Coat Factory is another great place to look, although be careful there, deals aren't always what they seem to be, and they don't do alterations.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Agree that the Penney's Stafford line is very good quality for the price. A couple of times a year they have great sales on them as well.

You can go to Penney's and be measured and they will order the suit for you in your size if it's not in stock. Then you come back once it comes in and they will do the alterations.
I am not opposed to shopping at JC Penney's for suits BUT ...

1) A number of the stores no longer have staff to fit you as tey have converted to coordinates only.

2) the local stores have some of the worst fitters that I have dealt with. In the future, I will buy the suit and take it to a real tailor.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
HAve to admit my husband hasn't bought a suit at a Penney's for a good four years, it's a shame things ahve changed.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM

479 posts, read 2,223,777 times
What about buying a used one from a second hand store and having it tailored. I've never actually done this, but it might be worth a shot?

Also, Ross is a good place for women's suits.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:34 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
What range in size differential from your own size do you have when shopping for a suit and planning to tailor it?

Like if I'm a 33/30 in men's pants and a 40S jacket... how much can I stray away from those sizes before the tailor won't be able to make the suit fit to my body?

Old 07-19-2009, 05:47 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
I have purchased several suits off EBay for killer prices. Don't go buy the size listed but look for sellers who measure the suit and give the actual measurements. I just purchased a brand new Joseph Abboud suit for $40. Also as stated Burlington Coat Factory has some great suits for great prices. Just know the retail prices before starting your search. Some designer suits will fit better than others. For me the best fitting suit is a Emanuel Ungaro. I have purchased two new suits off of Ebay for $50 & $60.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:56 PM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prple View Post
What about buying a used one from a second hand store and having it tailored. I've never actually done this, but it might be worth a shot?

Also, Ross is a good place for women's suits.
I have done this, I would higly suggest it, especially mens suit coats, most of them don't get much wear , and I will give you a tip, find thrift shops and goodwill stores near resorts and up scale areas, I can easilly wear $1000.00 out fits that I paid around $50.00 for. Having said that I wouldn't wear some of these clothes at an interview for a job that pays $25-30,000, they might get the wrong Idea about your frugality if they think you bought the clothes new.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:44 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
I don't wear suits.

I think they are silly and impractical costumes worn by herd following butt kissers.

But if I wanted one, I would buy it from George at the Men's Warehouse.

I would like the way I looked.

He guarantees it.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:02 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,936,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
For those of us who are going to interviews, attending networking events where dressing professional and looking one's best may help... what are the brands and stores that are selling good quality suits for a bargain?

In the book The Millionaire Next Door JC Penny's Stafford Executive brand was cited as being of very good value. They do seem to have some nice stuff online but trying to go find it in-store is another story.

Any other suggestions on good suit deals?

I'm a guy but let's open it up to suits for both men and women.
Joseph A. Bank has good quality mens clothing at good prices.
Right now, it's buy one, get two free. If that's still going on, it's over soon. But then, I think they are doing everything half price for the month of July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living