Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:34 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times

Advertisements

I've been getting a load of mushroom soil for the past 3 years, and what a difference in my plants! It's so cheap, and I only paid $20 for a 6' x 8' trailer load, which lasted all summer, and then some. Tomatoes really love it, as well as geraniums. I read up on it before I tried it, and found that we have to wear rubber gloves when working in it as the mushroom spores could cause some problems. I work it into my top soil, and then also use it for mulch around the borders of my beds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
Are you talking about mushroom compost? I have used that(packaged from Lowes )for a long time but I was not aware it could be bought by the trailor load.

Where are you?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you talking about mushroom compost? I have used that(packaged from Lowes )for a long time but I was not aware it could be bought by the trailor load.
Where are you?
No, it's the spent mushroom soil and it comes from mushroom farms. I'm in Zone 7, Delaware, and previously drove to the mushroom farms near PA. Now, there's a wholesale garden outlet nearby which transports tractor trailer loads down and we buy it bulk from them.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:26 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,624,621 times
I have heard of mushroom manure, but not mushroom soil....

Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Here's what I'm talkin' bout.....
Maybe it's all the same; I don't know
USING SPENT MUSHROOM SUBSTRATE (MUSHROOM SOIL) AS A SOIL AMENDMENT TO IMPROVE TURF

Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
lucky you to be so close to such a wonderful resource. I'm envious.

Does anybody know if this is available around Chapel Hill. N.C.?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
lucky you to be so close to such a wonderful resource. I'm envious.
Does anybody know if this is available around Chapel Hill. N.C.?
I've been told that golf courses are big customers of mushroom soil, so if you have a golf course near you, maybe you could ask the grounds people that question.

Mushroom growers are, at the most, 70-80 minutes away from us. They are HUGE mushroom houses in northern Delaware and southern Pennsylvania. So there are plenty of landscape companies around that area who deliver locally. I didn't mind the ride, but my husband dreaded taking the little 6' x 8' trailer up there, then we had to tarp it pretty good. Now, the provider is about 20 minutes from our house....much nicer. One trailer load is plenty for one summer's worth of work, mulching, adding and working it in to the beds. I've actually not needed to add to my compost pile lately, but instead store the leftover mushroom soil in that area now. The old mushroom soil slowly turns to powder and is more like peat moss. The new mushroom soil is hot and you can't use it until it "seasons" or cools down. So I have a steady supply I can use at any time.

Last edited by rdlr; 06-10-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 9,040 times
Hi... just read your posts about mushroom soil. You are absolutely right! Aged mushroom soil is the best amendment for your vegetable gardens and flower beds. Did you know that you can also use it as a top dressing for your lawn? Grass seed loves mushroom soil! The best place for soil in Delaware is John Orsini Topsoil in Hockessin. Give us a call this year when you're ready to bring your trailer. We offer both pick up and delivery. 302-239-7364
Maybe you've seen our bumper stickers...."I Got Loaded at John Orsini Topsoil"

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times
From the Penn State link the Op provided; it looks as if there is plenty of science behind making mushroom soil today. I remember my parents and grandparents using mushroom soil on their gardens many decades ago. Back then it wasn't too scientific. Sometimes they would get weed free soil and sometimes not. But I think that the primary ingredient was horse manure. If the soil was not composted long enough; the seeds in the horse manure would germinate. Fifty years ago they did not have that specialized heavy equipment to compost and make windrows.

Even with those old problems; the soil did do wonders for the garden.

Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
No, it's the spent mushroom soil and it comes from mushroom farms. I'm in Zone 7, Delaware, and previously drove to the mushroom farms near PA. Now, there's a wholesale garden outlet nearby which transports tractor trailer loads down and we buy it bulk from them.
Same thing, it's usually sold as "mushroom compost" or "spent mushroom compost."

It works well as a soil conditioner because it contains a lot of humus, but it's usually low in nutrients (not necessarily a bad thing, depends on what you're using it for).

It can also contain a lot chemicals used to control fungus gnats and or other pests in mushroom growing, so people should take that into consideration too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden