U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 PM

36,497 posts, read 45,468,190 times

Advertisements

I'm in N.C. We have always used July 15th as the last date to pinch your mums if you want full busy plants with load of blooms for fall. It really hurts to do this, especially if you can see flowers buds beginning but it makes for such a showy sturdy plant and is worth the pain. I don't just pinch out the growing tips. I actually take the sissors to them every other week or so from early spring to July 15th.

The date may be different in your area.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:09 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,919,092 times
If you cut more than just a pinch, they root easily. I stick mine in soil, place it in a large container on the shady side of the house, and just wait. Takes 4-6 weeks to establish a good root system. Yesterday, I planted out 12 from cuttings taken back near the end of April.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:20 PM

12,264 posts, read 12,003,377 times
Thanks for the tip, I'll do it!

Old 06-13-2010, 08:39 AM

14,810 posts, read 14,357,775 times
Thanks for this tip. I planted some bareroot last year and they have come back thick and bushy this year.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:51 AM

3,763 posts, read 10,974,220 times
About that.. so last year was the first year I really did this. I noticed in early July there were buds (way too early!) and so I cut the plants approx in half (they were really big!) vertically about 4th of July, and then again cut them back (maybe 1/3) in early August.

I had beautiful blooms from Mid September to late October.

This year, Cinci has had a WEIRD start to summer ... with a LOT of rain, and a lot of heat.

About 3 weeks ago (MAY!!) I noticed my Chrysanthemums not only had buds, but some of the buds had color and were starting to open.

Yes. Blooming Chyrsanthemums in May.

I HACKED them back to about 1/3 of their size.

I have a feeling I will be cutting them back at least two more times this summer, unless we get a sudden cold snap. The intense sun wiht all this moisture is making my June garden look like an August one.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:26 AM

33,068 posts, read 61,882,928 times
I'm letting one of my mums go; it's about to bloom any day and just got too out of control too early with the premature hot weather we had in April and May. Then I'll whack it down again and see what happens.

The others are still short and compact, so they'll be pinched through mid-July, and hopefully will bloom until Thanksgiving.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM

74,850 posts, read 87,256,121 times
well I keep hearing about pinching them but never have and yet our plants are beautiful. I guess I will do it this year and see if they are any fuller..

Nita

Old 06-14-2010, 12:36 PM

3,763 posts, read 10,974,220 times
I really didn't do it in order to create "fullness" but because I didn't want blooming Chryanthemums in August last year.

It did make them bushier - but since they were already verging on too big - that wasn't really a desired outcome.

This year when I hacked them down to nothing.. I also "divided" them. I.E. Use shovel to cut clump in half, or thirds. Remove desired portion of plant entirely.

They looked terrible when I did it (as you would expect), but now (3 weeks later) they are already filling back in and growing like crazy.

One of the reasons I love/hate mums. They are CHEAP and you get a lot of plant life out of them!!

Old 06-14-2010, 12:38 PM

36,497 posts, read 45,468,190 times
it-pinching- doesn't just make the plant bushier. It gives you blooms in the fall when most of us want them. You know pruning, or pinching anything during the growing season just encourages new growth.

With other plants you don't want to prune too close to winter cause the new tender growth which results from pruning or pinching will be killed by frost.

back to mums, I don't just cut the tops. I go into the middle of the plants and make pretty drastic cuts to encourage fuller plants. That is how the professional growers do it too.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,705,273 times
NoKudzu thanks for the reminder. This is the first year in dozens and dozens that I have nothing to pinch back. My mums didn't make it through the winter last year and I ripped out all of my asters after and aster wilt took hold of my garden last year. I think it may have arrived in the mulch, as that stuff has been a fungus and mushroom factory after every rain. I'm still cleaning up the remains of the wilt that spread to Echinacea where it causes deformed leaves and flowers and even to my Salvia which gets burned looking from bottom to top if I don't spray with a fungicide. No asters or mums to pinch.

btw I always pinched my mums and asters to keep the stems short and sturdy enough to carry flowers without flopping as well as increase the numbers of flowers. I found in my zone 5 part sun garden it made the plants look neater and fuller if I kept pinching every 2 -3 weeks from spring through the beginning of August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden