Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:20 PM

22 posts, read 99,077 times

Advertisements

I am going to have to go with Blue Star Amsonia!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:21 PM

205 posts, read 726,279 times
Default Angel Trumpets

Long time listener... first time caller here.

I have three Brugmansia plants aka Angels Trumpets - love them. They're scent is potent, but is mainly noted at night or all day IF it stays cool. These things will grow like a weed. They can be cut back to a bush, or allowed to grow very tall. I prefer mine to grow about 6 - 7 feet so that the top "falls" down like a weeping willow. They do require moist soil, so when there is no rain and its hot they need a lot of water. I have two in the ground, one is in a pot. Well actually I have a fourth in a small transplant pot, but I have no idea the color yet. It was a plant that someone else had, cut it back and gave me a piece to grow.

These are not mine; mine are smaller but cut to look similar. I have this yellow color
http://floridagardener.com/pom/BrugmansiaAlba.jpg

I have this pink color... this one is cool. It starts out yellow and turns pink as it opens
http://floridagardener.com/pom/brugmansiahybcu.jpg

And I have a white one too.
http://floridagardener.com/pom/BrugmansiaAlbacu.jpg

Old 06-11-2010, 03:38 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Chrysanthemums, especially the fall blooming ones. We have some getting ready to bloom now, though. Black Eyed Susans although the chrysanthemums have crowded them out to where they might not come back. Snapdragons always come back and can survive practically into the dead of winter and might be the first thing blooming in early Spring. Peonies, of course. Morning glories reseed themselves.
We had salvia come up from reseeding this year for the first time.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:29 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,377,182 times
Its hard to say what my favorite is. I love that mint comes back every year, even if it takes over everything. I love the shasta daisies and yarrow that comes back bigger each year. I am trying to get those two plants to take over an area that is rocky and not good for much.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:55 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,942 times
We have an Aloe plant that is over three feet across, tip to tip, about two feet high and each summer, It sends out a single stalk 4 to 5 feet tall with a whole lot of yellow bell shaped flowers occupying the last foot of the shoot. Last year for the first time the single stalk forked and each side flowered. This plant is large enough for several burn units.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:02 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,752,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Well, Luv, I have many others too. One of my favorite semi-perennial plants is datura. It blooms all summer here and just keeps reseeding itself all over. By the end of summer, the plants will be covered in huge blooms. It's nice that they're fragrant too.
Oh yeah, forgot to put that one on my list!

Actually, I do have these and have for about 3 years, but I have not had much luck with them. I can't seem to find the place in my yard that they like. I've grown some and have had them come back up from seed ever since, but they just don't do well wherever I've put them.

I have a bunch of seedlings out there in a pot right now, all crowded up. I moved a couple to a bed, but they didn't do well, just sitting there. I've tried them out at the end of my driveway where they will get more sun, but still not much. I've seen pictures of them that look like bushes!

The biggest seedling (which ain't much!) in the pot put on a bloom the other night....going to let it go to seed to ensure some plants for next year.

I gave some to a friend early in the spring, and she told me last week that they were doing well, about to bloom. I haven't seen them, though, because she doesn't live close to me.
Gonna keep trying, because I love them!

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 06-12-2010 at 09:35 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

Sorry, I can't just choose one.....ALSO..... there are a pair of Butterfly bushes that are as tall as the house and each year they try to outdo their flower production of the previous year.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM

258 posts, read 1,176,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Sorry, I can't just choose one.....ALSO..... there are a pair of Butterfly bushes that are as tall as the house and each year they try to outdo their flower production of the previous year.
Do you cut them back each year?

Old 06-12-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rachel View Post
Do you cut them back each year?
Oh yes, I'd hate to think how big they would be if I didn't. If you are standing between them, they smell like honey.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:54 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
LOL, my favorite is butterfly bushes, too, Dusty. I also have irises, Shasta daisies, hosta, mint and lilies. Planted some garden sage last year and it came back beautifully this year with pretty lavender flowers on them. Planted some mums last year and they have really taken off this year.....looking for blooms in the fall this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden