U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:11 AM

36,497 posts, read 45,474,954 times

Advertisements

PJ8 - I have literally dozens of different varieties and hundreds of plants but this one you pictured is my favorite too. It stands so tall and proud and the bicolor is so pretty. My next one is a ruffled thick yellow one which was completely chomped down by deer early this morning. I watched them thru my bedroom window and by the time I got to shoooo them away it was gone.

When I was a professional designer I always encouraged clients to invest in daylillies. They are the best deal for the money but certainly not if you have the unreal deer problem we have here. Thanks for posting the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,315,665 times
I have a Rosemary bush that is over waist high and about 4 feet wide, it keeps my roses and eucalyptus tree company.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 PM

8,004 posts, read 10,337,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
One of my favorites is this hybrid daylily. The first flowers just opened yesterday. It'll continue to bloom for several weeks. I started out with one tiny plant from a catalog order, and have divided the mature plant a few times. I probably have 8 of them now, and each plant is huge. I have also given away several clumps. I've had them for about 12 years. This one is my most prolific daylily!

Click to enlarge.
PJ8....That is gorgeous!! Thank you so much for sharing the picture....truly a beautiful daylily! I've got one that's called Raspberry Ice that is a beauty too. Unfortunately, it's incredibly slow to divide, but I cherish every bloom! LOL

Old 06-21-2010, 03:23 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,705,928 times
PJ8 I love the color combination of that daylily.

My old garden had about 7 or 8 different varieties of daylily but there was not too many flowers to be had because the deer managed to eat quite a few, starting in the spring which also kept them stunted. As soon as I figure out how to post them I'd love to put up some pictures from my current/new garden. Maybe I should try and get a few shots that are good first. LOL My day lilies are not quite as spectacular to look at as those gorgeous things though!! They are still a favorite because they have been incredibly resilient!

I bought 6 or 7 small pots of them 2 years ago. They were supposed to be a pale yellow version of Stella D'oro. The first year they were exactly that but did not grown very much. I was happy to see them return last year, but had to dig them all out as the landscapers arrived in an early spring snow and we had trees and shrubs put in. After dividing them as much as I could to fill in blank spots on the plan I didn't have much hope, especially as temps soared into the upper 80's and low 90's 2 weeks later! Amazingly all 16 divisions took off and bloomed for a good long time, looking a bit taller and fuller than the previous year. This year they came back and are closer to a full sized than dwarf day lily! One of my neighbor's daughter stopped by today and asked for a few divisions when I am ready to split them. They just are wrapping up a first "flush" of blooms that was pretty neat to see.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:06 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,402,362 times
I have a large sage bush that will not die, though I cut it way back continually. Also the lilies and gladiolas, and herbs such as chamomile and thyme, mint. Surprised my beautiful chive plants survived the winter and now have their lovely purple blooms.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:04 PM

899 posts, read 2,619,037 times
Coral Bells, they even like being covered in our occasional snow that the willamette valley gets.I have them in all colors too..my second favorite is my roses......

Old 06-22-2010, 01:11 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,032,628 times
Sedum 'Autumn Joy'
Balloon Flower

Old 06-23-2010, 08:42 AM

4,795 posts, read 6,979,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
One of my favorites is this hybrid daylily. The first flowers just opened yesterday. It'll continue to bloom for several weeks. I started out with one tiny plant from a catalog order, and have divided the mature plant a few times. I probably have 8 of them now, and each plant is huge. I have also given away several clumps. I've had them for about 12 years. This one is my most prolific daylily!

Click to enlarge.
I think I have that daylily, although the dark color seems to be a little lighter on mine....it was here when I moved into the house. It's one of my favorites.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:14 PM

13,014 posts, read 10,978,967 times
The deer did a number on my roses this year. They didn't touch the dayilies though, due to liquid fence. I didn't put them on the roses because I like to smell them. That was a mistake.

Probably my favorite plants that come back every year are the hydrangeas and foxglove.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:32 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,170,672 times
Irises, lillys, Hostas, azaleas, camelia, gardenia, and my faithful shade plants lenten roses, vinca and pachasandra.
Also love our burning bush in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or