U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 PM

859 posts, read 1,936,456 times

Advertisements

I was stung by a black horned Hornet/ wasp... now let me tell you that thing drew BLOOD ! And had my just about on my knees !

after the shock of the PAIN ! I figured I would survive however let me tell you the PAIN was THRBOBING ALL night long, I put ice on it, I elavated it.... I would actuelly have jerking motion in my leg !!

After 2 days it seems to get better, THEN the red circle started .... first a little hot spot ,then the circle got bigger...... after a red Line forms.... !

Ok off to the docs, she said she never seen anything like this I mean it looked like I was poisend.

on Antibiotics for 2 weeks .......

After 1 year I STILL have the red mark, its still tender...... lol

IF its black and big RUN LIKE HELL !!!

And yes it was a Hornet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM

2,778 posts, read 7,255,646 times
When I first read the OP's description I chuckeled and chalked it up to exaggeration, until the other day....A HUGE blad-faced hornet(the black ones) was riding inside my jeep with me and the dog. I had to pull over to let him out before the dog snapped at it. It was about 2" long!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:47 AM

241 posts, read 845,876 times
Jasmin... eeeek! The doctor had never seen anything like that? Really? That's not very comforting! A year later and it's still irritated?!?! I have to say, it's almost 2 weeks later and the sting is still red but the swelling has gone down, the itch has finally gone away, but I can tell that my immune system isn't happy. I feel like I do after fighting a cold or flu for a week. Drained and icky. I wonder if that's from the sting? You said "poisoned" and a light went off in my head. I thought it was the heat, or possibly mild food poisoning... but it's likely some hornet venom could be the winner! Dreadful thought.

tcrackly... I'm tellin' ya... THEY EXIST and they will find you. lol. I wonder if somehow they are more aggressive this year or something?

Good thing you got it out of the car, that's scary!

Okay, as I typed that, I glanced to look out my window and there's a very large black flying bug circling just outside. Almost... watching me. This is turning into some Alfred Hitchcock stuff !

Old 08-07-2010, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 10,307 times

I think I may have found the culprit. This thing is currently on my deck in my house in Connecticut. I walked onto my deck 3 times and all 3 times it came out of nowhere and chased me around until I finally just ran inside. It's extremely territorial. When I approach it, it attacks me. I even just tapped on the glass of the door and the thing launched off from about 10 feet away and crashed right into the window separating us. I went out there with a fly swatter to see if I could get it, except as soon as I lifted the fly swatter up, it seemed to know exactly what I was trying to do and it flew right at my head. What a terrible situation. If this thing makes me bleed if it bites me, I may never got out on my deck ever again!

sorry for the poor picture quality. I had to crop and zoom a few times to get it the image big enough.

It isn't a horsefly because the wings extend further away from the body than the wings of a horsefly.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:10 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,706,549 times
The close cousin to the "standard" horsefly is called deer fly. It has wings that stand out more and sometimes look almost like a V. When I lived in NY we had one type that was mostly black and the eyes were more dark than obvious yellow of the usual variety. I never got which fly it really was, since they are closely related, but it was bigger than most deer flies and as big as some of the larger horseflies I've seen. Their bite was incredibly painful and drew blood if you didn't swat fast enough. Some people have very strong allergic reactions to the bite (saliva) of deer and horse flies that can last a long time.

Horse Flies and Deer Flies | University of Kentucky Entomology

Deer & Horse Flies

Horse and Deer Flies, HYG-2115-98

Old 08-08-2010, 05:41 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,283,794 times
While the OP's attacker could be a wasp, the behavior of chasing you for blocks sounds exactly like a horse fly when there are no horses or cows around to attack. They will chase and harass you until either 1. you escape it or 2. you kill it. They do leave a huge itchy welt that last for many days/week, similar to a wasp sting, and the wound often bleeds unlike most wasp stings. At evening/dusk, might be hard to differentiate a horse fly from a wasp.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 AM

3,349 posts, read 7,475,834 times
I am inclined to believe it's a horse fly as well. Those are some aggravating insects, that's for sure!

Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 PM

1,592 posts, read 3,162,265 times
Same thing happened to me -- it was something out of a horror movie! First it was after my cute little daughter. So I started swatting at it and it started chasing me. We ran like heck but it kept chasing me -- didn't know about the zig-zag advise, lol. Finally, when we crossed another party in the road (who looked at us like we were crazy), we lost the bug (sorry to those folks).

I am telling you,horseflies are a good reason to keep in shape -- that thing could've initiated cardiac arrest in me, I was breathing so heavily! I looked up info. on them and they are mostly active in early summer. They also like damp areas, where they lay their eggs. I was walking alongside a river.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,283,794 times
Horse flies are dr.jekyll/mr. hyde creatures. At the barn (my dtr has horses) they leave you alone - go straight for the horses, where you can sneak up on them while they are biting the horse and smash them easily. However, when one gets away from the farm animals - they come after people One got after me while I was trying to wash my car earlier this summer - he wouldn't quit - dive bombing - darting in for the kill (they love people's legs). I finally got him with the hose follwed quickly by the hornet spray

Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 9,296 times
I live right outside Raleigh and have these huge black fly/wasps w/ big black wings and spots. I am very careful around them and sprayed the one outside my door. I can't find a pic of this bug. I am trying to find what it is. After it has time to die, I will look and get a better discription.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden