Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 07:13 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,772,984 times

Advertisements

I had those too but a .50 beetle bag got rid of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny999 View Post
I'll trade you my Japanese Beatles for your dragonflies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 09:08 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I am just trying to figure out what you find so offensive about them is all, no need for the hostility. I remember being scared of them when I was a kid until it was explained to me that they don't bite. I did try to help - I said remove their food source and they will go away. There must also be a water source nearby because the nymphs are aquatic.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I have seen swarms of dragonflies come through an area and know how uncomfortable it can be when you are out in it. They appear to move in mass sometimes and in my experience it does not last long so usually waiting them out for a day or so was all I needed to do.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I am just trying to figure out what you find so offensive about them is all, no need for the hostility. I remember being scared of them when I was a kid until it was explained to me that they don't bite. I did try to help - I said remove their food source and they will go away. There must also be a water source nearby because the nymphs are aquatic.
Again, I don't want to sit outside or walk in my yard with any type of bug flying around me and landing on me. Right now the issue just happens to be dragonflies and they are huge. Just not what I'm used to. There are a lot of people that don't like bugs especially large bugs and especially if they are on them. I know they won't hurt me, it doesn't matter. I don't want bugs on me and like I said maybe it doesn't bother you but it bothers me. You don't have to understand, that's fine but you are beating it to death. There is water, a small pond all the way in the back of my yard but I never go back there. My yard is 1.5 acres and the dragonflies are around the house so not sure...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have seen swarms of dragonflies come through an area and know how uncomfortable it can be when you are out in it. They appear to move in mass sometimes and in my experience it does not last long so usually waiting them out for a day or so was all I needed to do.
That's what someone else said but it's been over a month. I went out on my deck today to check it out and there were about 6 to 10 just swarming around there.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:41 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
The pond and any adjacent wet areas are the mating grounds and home to the "baby" dragonflies. The adults have found tons of food in your backyard: gnats, flies, mosquitoes and all the stuff we usually call "bad" bugs. Get rid of anything attracting the bugs, like flowers and grass and fill in your pond and your problem will go away. That is why you don't see many dragonflies in urban areas.

I'm truly sorry something so pretty and so useful frightens you, they can be quite interesting to watch as they fly patterns in the yard chasing down 'skeeters' and bugs. If they do land on you they are being curious and checking you out... maybe they like the color of your clothes or hair, but they don't bite or spread disease. A few that I have seen in the last few days are close to the size of hummingbirds who also buzz me in the garden. I've been lucky to see both of them and purple martins make my yard nicer by day and some evenings I've seen bats do the same. Nature's exterminators don't put out nasty fumes like the chemical guys do either.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM

Yes! They are the size of hummingbirds! I went out on the deck again around 4:00 and there seemed to be less so maybe they are going away. If they were just flying around the yard I could deal with it. I think if I grew up around a lot of bugs it wouldn't be such an issue but I'm only use to an occasional ant or fly. To make matters worse I was bit by a tick several years ago and I'm still suffering the consequences of Lyme. I was just introduced to fire ants a few years ago when I moved south and they seem to not like me either. If I'm bit, half my foot swells up and it takes several weeks for the bite to go away. My SO gets bit and it's gone the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
The pond and any adjacent wet areas are the mating grounds and home to the "baby" dragonflies. The adults have found tons of food in your backyard: gnats, flies, mosquitoes and all the stuff we usually call "bad" bugs. Get rid of anything attracting the bugs, like flowers and grass and fill in your pond and your problem will go away. That is why you don't see many dragonflies in urban areas.

I'm truly sorry something so pretty and so useful frightens you, they can be quite interesting to watch as they fly patterns in the yard chasing down 'skeeters' and bugs. If they do land on you they are being curious and checking you out... maybe they like the color of your clothes or hair, but they don't bite or spread disease. A few that I have seen in the last few days are close to the size of hummingbirds who also buzz me in the garden. I've been lucky to see both of them and purple martins make my yard nicer by day and some evenings I've seen bats do the same. Nature's exterminators don't put out nasty fumes like the chemical guys do either.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:58 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
I love the day dragonflies show up -- the mosquitos and lots of other undesirables disappear. If you don't like them, get a screenhouse or screen the porch.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:12 PM

22 posts, read 99,035 times
I get it, it's just annoying. I would either try to get rid of what they are eating so they wont come back anymore, or I would find out what they like to eat and set up food for them...far away from where you are.

Old 07-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,575 times
You have some guys living in your lawn that the dragonfly finds very tasty. Get some bug spray that attaches to your hose and spray your lawn really well. No more food, no more dragonfly.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Purple Martins eat dragon flies. It won't help you this year but next Spring you could put up a martin house and become a landlord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden