U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM

4,288 posts, read 13,610,143 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have dragonflies the size of my head in my yard. I call them Jurassic park dragonflies. The first year I moved to SC I had this problem and then the last two years were fine. Well their back! I'm not kidding, If I just walk to my car I encounter around ten of them diving in front of me, hitting me, swarming around me etc...I can't stand them! I used to think they were a cool bug, ya know on jewelry in art work etc...but not this size and in my face alive! So please don't tell me how great they are and they eat other bugs, I don't care! I can't even sit on my deck or yard because there are so many. How do I get rid of these suckers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 PM

205 posts, read 643,164 times
I found info on how one would ATTRACT dragonflies. So I guess if you wish to get rid of them, you'd need to be certain these items were not accessible to dragonflies. A body of water with vegetation and light colored rocks will attract them.

More Tips for Attracting Dragonflies If you want them gone - then so the opposite?

Put some flat rocks near your dragonfly pond’s edge and around your garden. Some species are attracted to light-colored rocks, and they like to warm up by basking in the sun on rocks.

If you want breeding populations of dragonflies in your pond, do not add fish. They will prey on the nymphs and eggs.

Most dragonflies donot use polluted ponds. Make sure you donot spray herbicides or fertilizers near or up-wind from your pond. To replace fertilizer, try making your own compost. To learn more about composting, visit our guide, Composting.

Make sure that less than 30 per cent of your pond is shade covered. Dragonfly larvae are cold blooded, so they need sunlight. Without enough heat, they are inactive and stop breeding, eating or escaping from predators. Adult dragonflies are solar-powered and need to reach a certain temperature before they can fly.

Provide great hunting ground for your dragonflies by building a small wildflower grassland close to your pond to attract small insects.

Last edited by freesiia; 06-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 06-11-2010, 04:36 PM

147 posts, read 571,400 times
They only live a day or two. They eat those good insects that we all like to have around, flies, mosquitoes, gnats, may flies, and the list is long.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM

4,796 posts, read 6,984,914 times
They are a helpful bug. I've never had any attack me.....I think you just happened to walk into one's flight path. They don't sting. And like johnny said, they don't live long. So maybe you can wait them out?

You can always carry a badminton racquet to the car with you and just swat the air around your head as you walk to the car. LOL I can see how it could be unnerving for a bugaphobe (I'm not one) to be out in the middle of a swarm of them.

Once when we lived in the country, I noticed we had some awful gnats. Then the dragonflies came for a few days....no more gnats! After that, I looked forward to seeing the dragonflies. And wow, some of them are positively works of art up close!

Old 06-12-2010, 10:27 AM

Thanks all. There is no pond or garden so I don't know what's attracting them. They may not live long but replacements move in quick because this has been going on for a month and it's everyday. I see large ones and small so I guess they have babies. I know they eat other bugs but I can't even sit outside, they are in my front yard and back yard. The couple of years I didn't have them there wasn't a problem with other bugs taking over so I would rather get rid of them.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:59 AM

2,637 posts, read 11,274,629 times
I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd want to get rid of dragonflies. Why can't you sit outside? There are tons of dragonflies here and I sit outside all the time. They don't bite and they eat other, less beautiful bugs. I don't get it.

But, if you really want to get rid of them, get rid of their food source and they will go elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM

I thought I explained why in my first post but I'll say it again. I can't sit or walk outside, they swarm around everywhere. They land on me, they smack into me and they are huge. I guess you don't mind them doing that but I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd want to get rid of dragonflies. Why can't you sit outside? There are tons of dragonflies here and I sit outside all the time. They don't bite and they eat other, less beautiful bugs. I don't get it.

But, if you really want to get rid of them, get rid of their food source and they will go elsewhere.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM

2,637 posts, read 11,274,629 times
Dragonflies, which don't bite, can "swarm" around me all they want, heck they can land on me if they want. I can certainly walk around and sit outside regardless of their activity and I don't understand why you can't. Dragonflies don't attack you, so why the animosity? If one lands on you, just shoo it away. It won't hurt you.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:02 PM

147 posts, read 571,400 times
I'll trade you my Japanese Beatles for your dragonflies

Old 06-15-2010, 07:12 AM

Not sure why you feel I have to explain to you. Everyone has things they don't like and I don't like bugs flying around me and landing on me while I'm sitting or just walking to my car. I highly doubt I'm the only one that feels this way. Unless you have something to add that's helpful it seems you are trying to argue so do me a favor and back off. I asked for help and you're not giving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Dragonflies, which don't bite, can "swarm" around me all they want, heck they can land on me if they want. I can certainly walk around and sit outside regardless of their activity and I don't understand why you can't. Dragonflies don't attack you, so why the animosity? If one lands on you, just shoo it away. It won't hurt you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or