U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 02:27 PM

16,224 posts, read 23,072,997 times

Advertisements

I didn`t see this mentioned anywhere, so wanted to get your advice on our tomato plants.
The leaves on them have black spots on them, and they are wilting and dying. It looks like something has been eating the leaves, but I haven`t seen any worms, etc. on them. They are also turning yellow.
I`m wondering if this is a disease, or perhaps just too much water? It has been raining alot here. Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 02:33 PM

14,364 posts, read 19,754,093 times
sounds like they have mildew and they will die if you dont spray or use insecticide .

Old 06-12-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
sounds like they have mildew and they will die if you dont spray or use insecticide .
Thanks!! If its a mildew, would I still need to treat them with an insecticide?

Old 06-12-2010, 06:43 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,478,610 times
It sounds like tomato wilt (I'm sure there is a more technical name) to me, so kiss them good by. We (and our neighbors) had that problem the past two years and nothing helped. This year, so far, they are O.K.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:46 PM

2,457 posts, read 6,478,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Thanks!! If its a mildew, would I still need to treat them with an insecticide?
Insecticide will not control the mildew, but it will control the bugs if you spray/dust it on the underside of the leaves.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
It sounds like tomato wilt (I'm sure there is a more technical name) to me, so kiss them good by. We (and our neighbors) had that problem the past two years and nothing helped. This year, so far, they are O.K.
I did some research on this, and it doesn`t sound good, but we got something from Lowes that will maybe slow it down..or at least help, I hope!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 PM

30,411 posts, read 20,684,561 times
if it's tomato wilt, that stuff can hang out in the soil for a number of years. but you can buy resistant varieties of tomatoes, V for resistant to verticillium and F for fusarium-resistant.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:17 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,034,155 times
Did you plant them in the same spot you did last year? I know that sometimes leads to diseases transferring from the old plants to the new plants through the soil.

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM

18,326 posts, read 16,278,477 times
Its hard to say what you have without photos. It could be Verticillium or Fusarium, Early Blight(Alternaria solani), or late blight (Phytophthora infestans). All are fungi of some sort.

Some steps you can take against mold are:

1. Growing from seed which will prevent infection from green houses. (I got green house white flies once. Very bad.)
2. Rotating the tomato growing location.
3. Buying resistant varieties.
4. Spacing plants and/or pruning lower leaves near the soil. Making sure the stem soil line is exposed to sun. Don't wet the leaves. You can prune up several feet to do this.
5. 2/3 water to milk is an effective fungicide as is compost tea. Bacteria based flora from compost tends to be good for crop plants whereas as many forests prefer fungal flora.

If that fails try container growing well away from problem soil and solarize(put soil in clear or black plastic bag in the sun for a month) the growing medium every so often.

Last edited by gwynedd1; 06-22-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,608,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Its hard to say what you have without photos. It could be Verticillium or Fusarium, Early Blight(Alternaria solani), or late blight (Phytophthora infestans). All are fungi of some sort.

Some steps you can take against mold are:

1. Growing from seed which will prevent infection from green houses.
2. Rotating the tomato growing location.
3. Buying resistant varieties.
4. Spacing plants and/or pruning lower leaves near the soil. Making sure the stem soil line is exposed to sun. Don't wet the leaves. You can prune up several feet to do this.
5. 2/3 water to milk is an effective fungicide as is compost tea. Bacteria based flora from compost tends to be good for crop plants whereas as many forests prefer fungal flora.

I had a small tree with powder mildew on it, I used powdered milk ,it got rid of it after second application . Now the tree is 30 ft.tall .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden