U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:04 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,314,641 times

Advertisements

Anyone like bamboo

Well....my only objections are, it is tough, chewy and hard to digest. (the flavor ain't that great either)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:29 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,954,768 times
An update of the battle between the bamboo and the ornamental grasses around the pool.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:05 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,632,227 times
i LOVE bamboo, if i could figure out a way to keep it contained witout digging a 3ft deep trench and lining it with industrial strenght steel lol, id have tones of it! its so pretty!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM
dgz

805 posts, read 3,075,289 times
I love bamboo but it's extremely invasive where I live (North Texas). If I caught my neighbors planting it anywhere within 40 feet of my fence, I think I'd have to set their lawn on fire.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 AM

8,492 posts, read 11,399,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I love bamboo but it's extremely invasive where I live (North Texas). If I caught my neighbors planting it anywhere within 40 feet of my fence, I think I'd have to set their lawn on fire.

I have a tree hugger for a neighbor, he spends tons of $$ "watering" the lawn with buttermilk to get the moss to grow because the grass won't due to too much shade and large trees. He told em he consulted with a master Gardner and was going to put Bamboo in. I was delighted on one hand that I would not have to look at this nut case anymore but I consulted with my local cooperative extension board and promptly called MR. Hugger and explained that if he chose to do this he would need to dig down and put the 4 foot trenches of steel to prevent jumping and running. I have never called the town on anyone, not even after the yard was infested with ants from the buttermilk moss episode but I swore that I would if he put the bamboo in. Thankfully he didn't but I still have to look at him and his approximately 9 x 12 X 4 compost heap on the fence!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,634,493 times
The town where I used to live dug a 6-foot deep ditch along my easement. The Clay soil kept collapsing into it. I planted bamboo along it; the root system became so tough and thick that it stopped all erosion. I don't really like bamboo, but it has it's uses.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 AM

10,139 posts, read 23,954,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post

I was really lucky that my neighbor (adjacent to the bamboo wall I have) had previously planted it extensively along a different border of his yard. In fact, I spec'd the bamboo from his plantings because I could see how well the "Yellow groove" was doing in his yard. Since he likes it and planted it himself, I felt OK with my bamboo wall.

The stalks are now coming out of the ground about 2" in diameter and at the rate of a foot or two each day. I am expecting the wall to eventually be 25-30 feet tall. It is already dense enough that one can only see a few feet into the bamboo.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM
dgz

805 posts, read 3,075,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I have a tree hugger for a neighbor, he spends tons of $$ "watering" the lawn with buttermilk to get the moss to grow because the grass won't due to too much shade and large trees. He told em he consulted with a master Gardner and was going to put Bamboo in. I was delighted on one hand that I would not have to look at this nut case anymore but I consulted with my local cooperative extension board and promptly called MR. Hugger and explained that if he chose to do this he would need to dig down and put the 4 foot trenches of steel to prevent jumping and running. I have never called the town on anyone, not even after the yard was infested with ants from the buttermilk moss episode but I swore that I would if he put the bamboo in. Thankfully he didn't but I still have to look at him and his approximately 9 x 12 X 4 compost heap on the fence!!!!

Well, I'm a treehugger too :-) but part of that means not only gardening organically, but learning a lot about plants and soil. Additionally, I think that using buttermilk is going to create an unhealthy lawn. Dairy products like milk and cheese aren't even supposed to go into a compost pile. Your neighbor seems nutty, not 'eco.'

Old 04-11-2012, 01:48 AM

24,577 posts, read 34,233,458 times
Personally I'd love to see the city make it illegal to grow bamboo in your yard. None of my immediate neighbors have it but years ago someone on my parents' street planted it and it invaded yards up to 5 yards away....and these houses were on half-acre plots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden