U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM

20,324 posts, read 18,322,261 times

Advertisements

We've planted some different varieties of tomatoes this year, some old favorites and some new. I'm just wondering what everybody esle is growing and how they're producing. This is in SE Pa.
Some of what we've planted:
Early Girl. Seemed slow to flower and set fruit but is now catching up.
Mountain pride: Seems small and only a few tomatoes just forming. I hope it produces consistantly for the season. First time we tried it.
Sun sugar. This cherry tomato seems to be really setting fruit. I think the hot weather early on hurt the other tomatoes but this one seemed to thrive in it. First time growing it.
Supersteak: Leading the way in size of fruit and a decent amount already forming. My personal favorites are beefsteak tomatoes
Beefmaster: Grew faster and bigger than any and is flowering.
Brandywine: Small and slow to flower but is catching up and seems to be taking off. I like indeterminate to at least have some tomatoes throughout the season.
Supersonic: Grew fast and is flowering.
Sweet Million: Growing in a pot and is flowering.
Jet star: Compact and in a pot, bought flowering and has fruit growing already. This was to be the first tomatoes of the season, but the sun sugar may beat it.
Anybody else have any success with these or others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:06 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,919,740 times
The first one that produces a ripe tomato. After that, I've got some heirlooms this year like Striped German and Green Zebra. I've also doing beefsteak and pink brandywine. Cherokee purple and Yellow Pear. Oh, and Jubilee. Romas, of course. And Marion.

I've only got 52 plants. I really like tomatoes. I've just spotted my first green tomatoes this week. A little rain and they will really take off.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:12 PM

577 posts, read 1,612,088 times
I mostly grow Roma's now as I like to make salsa with them, they are denser and not so mushy.
Also great for making pasta... but I dont really eat them other than these two ways so I may not be the best judge hehehee

Old 06-13-2010, 08:53 PM

7,088 posts, read 13,315,665 times
I have 55 tomato plants, 4 of which are romas, 3 are cherokee purple the rest are fairly evenly divided between German Johnson, Better Boy, and Celebrity. I fully intend to live on a tomato sandwich diet for at least two months. My green tomatos are, in size, between a baseball and a softball. Several of my plants have in excess of two dozen green tomatos and are almost five feet tall (staked of course). There are also quite a few smaller ones, a few of the larger are starting to turn yellow.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 PM

204,546 posts, read 78,868,711 times
Jetstar in the midwest. Smooth shoulders with small blossom scar. Grew them as a small market garden of about 1500 plants. They were staked and pruned properly and heavy producers of very good quality tomatoes.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:35 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,360,586 times
I have Quimbaya, which I like just for eating fresh.

Amish Paste - good for both eating fresh and for canning. Makes a good sauce and also just diced and canned.

Cherokee Purple - I grew these last year for the first time. Excellent flavor for eating fresh.

Early Goliath - for eating fresh.

I just got my tomatoes into the ground 2-3 weeks ago so they are just now getting started.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:48 PM

400 posts, read 1,521,375 times
My favorite is Yellow Pear for just standing there and eating right off the plant. :-)

Someone mentioned they're growing a heirloom Mortgage Lifter and I thought the name was cute, so trying one out for myself.

Also trying out one I'd never heard of, Tumbling Yellow.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:01 PM

6,613 posts, read 11,551,661 times
Whichever one that actually bears fruit and doesn't die on me = )

I have a bush early girl that doesn't seem to be doing much yet, a "patio tomato" of indeterminate species that is starting to have flowers and a cherry tomato that is going great guns so far as flowers appearing.

I tried to find a tumbling tom but haven't had any luck so far.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:12 PM

830 posts, read 2,428,467 times
Last year I had the best luck with Early Girl, and I also had Yellow Pears and a Green Zebra.

This year my chickens busted into a bed and demolished most of the Early Girls, my one Mr. Stripey, and my 3 Yellow Pears. I've got one Early Girl left, a Mortgage Lifter, a Green Zebra, a couple of Better Boys (not too hopeful about those - got a 6 pack for $1 because they looked really bad but they do seem to have recovered some), and a couple of Brandywines.

We had a very cool start to spring and I've only got one little green tomato on the Green Zebra. Just flowers on everything else, but the Mortgage Lifter and the Green Zebra are the biggest, lushest, and "readiest" looking. I would like to replace my Mr. Stripey, it looked so cute on the picture label. I'd also like to get some variety of a cherry tomato.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:13 PM

830 posts, read 2,428,467 times
Oh, I forgot about my Arkansas Traveler! It is still small.

And I forgot I want a Cherokee Purple too, like someone above mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden