U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM

15,895 posts, read 12,695,051 times

Advertisements

A good start, with any lawnmower running rough or failing to start problems, is to pull the spark plug (after you have turned the motor over several times). Look at the spark plug to see if it is wet with fuel. Then put on the spark plug wire with the base of the plug in contact with the metal of the motor. Pull the rope and look for spark – it is hard to see in bright sunlight.

Th old OP post described probably a fuel problem. They were not specific what kind of lawnmower they had. Carburetors vary greatly. Some have no adjustment screws. Some have only one. Some have high speed, low speed, idle, and governor set screws. Most fuel set adjustment screws have approximate settings of about a turn and a quarter to a turn and a half from the closed position. Be very careful when ever you turn a mix set screw closed – the needle can get stuck and break off (be gentle). Many mowers perform best if, after you get them started, you adjust the high speed adjustment screw to where the mower runs the fastest – then open it up just slightly (until you sense the rpms dropping). Running slightly rich will give you the power you need when in tall or wet grass. The low speed screw is set by turning the idle set screw to the lowest position that the motor will still run and then turning the low speed mix screw until the rpms increase (then repeating the process). The governor screw should not be touched – unless you have a tachometer and can set the motor to 3600 rpms.

Fuel filters can be located in the gas tank, in the fuel line, and in the carburetor. The in line ones are the easiest to replace for most consumers (providing you can get off the fuel hose).

As mentioned previously; always check your gas cap (especially if the motor dies after running a short time). You can simply run the motor with the gas cap a little loose to see if a cloged cap is the problem.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 09:04 AM

25,627 posts, read 31,459,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
A good start, with any lawnmower running rough or failing to start problems, is to pull the spark plug (after you have turned the motor over several times). Look at the spark plug to see if it is wet with fuel. Then put on the spark plug wire with the base of the plug in contact with the metal of the motor. Pull the rope and look for spark – it is hard to see in bright sunlight.

Th old OP post described probably a fuel problem. They were not specific what kind of lawnmower they had. Carburetors vary greatly. Some have no adjustment screws. Some have only one. Some have high speed, low speed, idle, and governor set screws. Most fuel set adjustment screws have approximate settings of about a turn and a quarter to a turn and a half from the closed position. Be very careful when ever you turn a mix set screw closed – the needle can get stuck and break off (be gentle). Many mowers perform best if, after you get them started, you adjust the high speed adjustment screw to where the mower runs the fastest – then open it up just slightly (until you sense the rpms dropping). Running slightly rich will give you the power you need when in tall or wet grass. The low speed screw is set by turning the idle set screw to the lowest position that the motor will still run and then turning the low speed mix screw until the rpms increase (then repeating the process). The governor screw should not be touched – unless you have a tachometer and can set the motor to 3600 rpms.

Fuel filters can be located in the gas tank, in the fuel line, and in the carburetor. The in line ones are the easiest to replace for most consumers (providing you can get off the fuel hose).

As mentioned previously; always check your gas cap (especially if the motor dies after running a short time). You can simply run the motor with the gas cap a little loose to see if a cloged cap is the problem.
I usually just give mine the ol' fisheye if it doesn't turn over on the first pull. Seems to work as it always turns on the second.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:05 AM

1,278 posts, read 3,134,835 times
I just fixed my Honda GCV 160 Black Max mower. It would run only with the choke on. The main carb jet was totally blocked but had to go to hell and back to clean it. Runs fine now. Not sure if the automatic choke is on correctly but it least it starts and runs.
Sid

Old 04-11-2013, 01:33 PM

21,908 posts, read 23,076,490 times
this happened to me once and I slammed the mower up and down a few times and then ran it as fast as I could into a tree. I then took one of those big landscaping timber spikes and pounded it half-way into the block with a maul. "There! look at you now!" I screamed.

I went and bought a new mower and other than sputter a bit when we go by the rusting hulk of ol' Rusty, it's been working fine for years now.

Last edited by Ghengis; 04-11-2013 at 01:47 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM

16,760 posts, read 42,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
this happened to me once and I slammed the mower up and down a few times and then ran it as fast as I could into a tree. I then took one of those big landscaping timber spikes and pounded it half-way into the block with a maul. "There! look at you now!" I screamed.

I went and bought a new mower and other than sputter a bit when we go by the rusting hulk of ol' Rusty, it's been working fine for years now.
That sounds like a lot more fun then cleaning the carburetor.

Until it came time to pay for the new mower.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM

1,278 posts, read 3,134,835 times
Taking a maul to the mower reminded me of a funny thing that happened one night with a bunch of guys after an afternoon of dove hunting. Sitting around joking and having a few adult beverages while the doves were stewing one hunter noticed that his Timex wrist watch had stopped. He was so mad that he took it off and nailed it to the cabin wall with a 16 penny nail and scribbled a note and attached it below the watch: "took a lick and couldn't keep tickin"- seemed funny at the time, maybe too much sour mash.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:19 PM

1 posts, read 44,074 times
Lawn boy F Series Mower runs for several seconds then dies. Will start up but will only run a few seconds. Hey whoever was the guy that said to spray WD-40 in to the cylinder where the spark plug goes. HE SAVED ME A MILLION ! HEY THAT REALLY WORKED ! THANKS ! THANKS THANKS !

Old 06-13-2013, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 43,961 times
TRY THIS IT WORKS!

My lawnmower is a push craftsman 6.5 horsepower today it started sputtering and wouldnt stay started. The I figured out it would only start if I primed it and would quit after a few seconds. I tried everything that was posted to address this kind of problem. Nothing worked till I came across Hillmay's post. He had the same problem and the way he fixed it and the way that worked for me was to keep it running by priming it when u start it just keep hitting the primer it will try to stop. I kept doing this for 5 minutes or so till it would stay running with primer pushed down and not pumping on it to keep it started. Then 1 or 2 minutes after that it ran on its own and at previous working condition I never shut it off till after a half acre lot that I had left to mow then turned it off and on like it never had a problem.

Thanks Hillmay

Old 06-14-2013, 06:26 PM

339 posts, read 869,008 times
I have a six-year-old Toro with the same problem. I had it tuned up for spring, and the problem started after four mowings. Decided to return it to the Toro mechanic, who said the inside gas cap was dirty. He cleaned the cap, and it was good to go. Amazes me all the things that can go wrong. I hate mowers!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 43,516 times
my john deere will start, run for 5mins.and the battrey goes down. the light that shows charging problem stays on. jump it off and does same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or