U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2010, 11:27 AM

1 posts, read 16,744 times

Advertisements

I have several sort of expensive flower pots that have no holes for drainage. I've planted several different plants in these pots, and none of them did very well. Obviously they need drainage. Does anyone know of any plants that do not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:10 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,370,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estre004 View Post
I have several sort of expensive flower pots that have no holes for drainage. I've planted several different plants in these pots, and none of them did very well. Obviously they need drainage. Does anyone know of any plants that do not.
I have a couple of those for some houseplants, I just let them really dry out before watering and the plants seem fine.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:11 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,370,631 times
Oh, my plants in the pots with no drainage are snake plants.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:30 PM

36,498 posts, read 45,497,620 times
it is very simple to make a drainage hole using the proper drill bit. I use my dremel for stuff like that all the time. I wouldn't try to grow anything without drainage except maybe succulents which don't need much mositure anyway.

Old 06-15-2010, 12:35 PM

33,085 posts, read 61,917,090 times
Just place about two or so inches of pea gravel or similar material in the bottom of the pot. That will allow the water to drain without the roots sitting in it.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:30 PM

2,172 posts, read 6,992,193 times
Bog and water plants like boggy, soggy conditions and would be happy in those pots.
One I like is "Fiber Optic Grass."
Fiber-optic grass - Plant Encyclopedia - BHG.com
There is also a miniature Payprus that is very attractive and likes soggy roots.
Logee's Greenhouse-Cyperus isocladus "Dwarf Papyrus"
A friend gave me something called "lizard tail," a bog plant that has interesting white fuzzy foxtail type flowers and a sweet center and lovely green leaves.
PLANTS Profile for Saururus cernuus (lizard's tail) | USDA PLANTS
You can even grow a miniature water lily.
Water plants are fun to grow.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:13 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,708,168 times
I'm not sure why they even sell pots that don't drain, grrrr, but if the pot is large/deep enough you can put a slightly smaller pot inside that stands on some gravel or a layer of garden rock to keep roots from standing in water. You can also flip a small plastic pot (with drain holes) upside down in the center of the pot, put rocks/gravel around the sides of the little pot and then top with soil. The pot creates a little air pocket that lets water collect but doesn't leave the roots soaking. You'll still need to be careful about the amount and frequency of watering and the pot will not be as heavy when the wind blows. I have frequently done this with big pots that have single drain holes to lighten the weight and make them movable. I also know someone who used the soil crystals for water retention in the upside down pot as a way to hold water when she couldn't water regularly enough. It seemed to work for her, but I haven't tried it.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:18 PM

22 posts, read 92,539 times
I would drill some holes on the pot. It is not difficult at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or