Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 01:05 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times

Advertisements

Yes, the second picture is better....that led me to believe it was some kind of impatiens because of the shape of the leaves. I believe J&Em got it right.

Be sure to let them go to seed if you want them to continue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 01:07 PM

I enjoy the ID threads also. I posted one once, and nobody ever did figure it out! The stupid thing still hasn't bloomed, either. I just knew it would bloom this year. Well, the year isn't over yet, and you can be sure, if it blooms, I will post a picture!

Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
Ok, a new plant bloomed on me. Any ideas?

Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
It looks like Gooseneck Loosestrife to me. Latin name:Lysimachia clethroides

This one you might let your hubby go to town on because it is considered an invasive around these parts! Too bad because it is quite pretty all on its own. I should clarify... it is invasive in some gardens. You can tell it has *gardener issues* from the number of negatives it received at Dave's Garden Plant files. On the other hand a fairly trusted place like White Flower farm sells it. If it looks like it is coming up all over that part of the garden you know it might be a problem. If it seems contained it may be OK to leave it.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/33630-product.html

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/656/

Old 06-24-2010, 04:24 PM

I think you're right, J&Em. My husband will enjoy whacking them, I'm sure! hahaha. I wish it would choke out the poison ivy. I'm having a terrible time keeping it out of the flower garden.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:52 AM

I used to want some gooseneck loosestrife.....a big stand of it is so pretty! I thought maybe I'd put it along a fence that I don't really maintain and let it fight it out with the Chinese privet and other brush. I would be mowing it and keeping it from spreading into the yard, and so would the neighbor.

Well, anyway, that was my thought, but I'll never do it. Too busy to hunt any down (never see it for sale around here) and too busy to plant it, too.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:58 AM

Luvvarkansas, next time I'm in AR I could look you up! I think we will dig ours up and relocate it to an area it can take over!

Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Luvvarkansas, next time I'm in AR I could look you up! I think we will dig ours up and relocate it to an area it can take over!
I don't live in Arkansas, I just love it. My mom has a little cabin there.

I've read before that they will really take off in a wet spot, so put yours in a really dry spot and don't give them any supplemental watering after they're established, and maybe they won't take off quite so much.

Have you ever seen a picture of a big stand of gooseneck loosestrife in bloom? Wow. I love how the flower heads twist and swirl like an ice cream cone, and how sometimes they swirl in all different directions. Do a google image search for more if you'd like, but here are a couple of good ones. (I hope the pictures work....in the preview it looks like they will, but I've had that happen before and then when the post went through they weren't there.)

Old 06-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Thank you! That is awesome! We have a drainage ditch in our front yard that is very difficult for my husband to mow around. Maybe we'll transfer ours to the ditch area! Hmmmm. Ideas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden