Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

The leaves on my blackeyed susans constantly wilt. If I water them, they perk up. This has gone on for years. I find them disappointing because they seem to need watered so much. My Shasta Daisies are right next to them, and the Shasta Daisies never wilt. Of course, both receive the same amount of water.

I was wondering if my Blackeyed Susans would do better in a partial shade area of the yard. Right now, they are in full sun. I know they are supposed to be plants that enjoy full sun and can tollerate poor water and soil conditions. Sure, they are tollerating where they are at. Year after year, they haven't died yet. I just think they look crappy with wilted leaves.

I'm not interested in watering them more than the rest of my garden. Do you think moving them to an area of the yard that gets sun until Noon would work? Right now, they get sun all day. It's like they are baking and can't stand the heat.

Any advice? I'm ready to tear them out of my garden entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 09:31 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,154 times
Well, I gave my parents some Black Eyed Susans who get full sun and to my knowledge they don't wilt that much - at least that I have seen. Now mine actually were wilting tonight but where I live it has been in the 90s for days on end and hardly any rain. Could it be lack of moisture? If not you might try seeing how they do after the sun has gone down and see if the leaves rebound. Black Eyes will though tolerate partial sun though they don't bloom as much. I have a lot of trees in my yard and several plants scattered around and are doing well even in less sunny places.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Thanks, citydweller! Glad to hear the do okay in less than sunny places. I'm going to move them. I know the problem is water and heat (it has been over 90 for the past few weeks.) But the rest of the flowers in my garden do just fine in my area's hot, humid summers. That's why I don't want to just throw more water at the problem. I'd rather try to move them to an area where they don't get late afternoon and evening sun. Maybe they'll handle the hot weather better that way.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:40 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
I've found that BES's (at least the kind I have....I think it's the 'Goldsturm') are one of those plants, like hydrangeas, that tend to wilt in heat. It doesn't necessarily mean they need watering. Only water them if they are wilted first thing in the morning. Otherwise, you may water them too much.

That being said, they will tolerate less sun in the South where the sun is really strong. I have some that get about 4, maybe 5 hours of afternoon/evening sun only, and they do fine....the flowers are not as big and bright as the ones in full sun, but they still grow and bloom fine. They're just starting to bloom well right now, as a matter of fact, in July.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:24 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
I've had the same happen with some of my Echinacea plants, especially when the temperature hits better than 90 for multiple days. Luvvarkansas gave excellent advice (my Hydrangea is a real water hog, too). Normally, depending on soil conditions, they should not need water more than twice a week, but if they have been watered frequently up to now they may have shallow roots and not be up handling to less frequent watering. You can gradually train them to grow longer and stronger roots by watering longer but less frequently. Once the roots are deep there will be less frequent tendency to wilt, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden