U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 06:57 AM

395 posts, read 1,202,591 times

Advertisements

Hi all, hope you can advice me with this below problem.

Early this summer, I bought a few seeds (Lupins, Hollyhocks, Poppy) and they are now couple of inches big. they are in seed pots. We were meaning to build a flower bed for these but unfortunately something came up and we couldn't. So, Can I still transplant them on ground somewhere else for them to grow next year and then when the flower bed is ready I change the location or should I transplant them into a bigger pot and leave it out for winter?

which would be the best option? Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 09:48 AM

36,501 posts, read 45,571,541 times
I think it is too late to plant most anything right now,. having said that i just put some zinnias in a bed on a recent cloudy day. let them stay in pots till fall and then plant them in the garden--this would be ideal.

I move my perennials and shrubs around all the time- they are basically on roller skates. the trick is to do it the right way and at the right time.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:55 AM

33,117 posts, read 62,006,885 times
I'd go ahead and plant them whenever you're ready. Make sure they get plenty of water. Especially poppies can live through almost anything.

Old 06-18-2010, 08:13 PM

36,501 posts, read 45,571,541 times
of course we need to know what zone you are in. Here in NC it has been in the middle 90's for at least 2 weeks so I still say my experience is that this is not a good time to plant anything.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:19 PM

147 posts, read 571,900 times
I would put them in 1/2 or 1 gallon nursery pots and put them somewhere so they only get morning sun until late summer/early fall and then put them in the ground. I have done this with hollyhocks, foxgloves, salvia, monarda, and day lillies.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:40 AM

395 posts, read 1,202,591 times
Thanks all for your suggestions.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:17 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,287,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
Hi all, hope you can advice me with this below problem.

Early this summer, I bought a few seeds (Lupins, Hollyhocks, Poppy) and they are now couple of inches big. they are in seed pots. We were meaning to build a flower bed for these but unfortunately something came up and we couldn't. So, Can I still transplant them on ground somewhere else for them to grow next year and then when the flower bed is ready I change the location or should I transplant them into a bigger pot and leave it out for winter?

which would be the best option? Thanks all!
I'd plant the lupine's, if you did get a small plant from seed thats good, I'd still plant the seeds, at times it can take a year for some perennials to pop up, some do need the cold over the winter, I think Lupine seeds are a type of seed that you can put in the fridge then plant, I could be wrong, mine seem to like growing on a slightly sloped area. Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden