Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 08:06 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times

Advertisements

hi, I am a new home owner, I was thinking of planting some small flowering plants along both side of the house...since it is hard to mow close to the siding , I thought if I have 1 feet of sand/mulch I can plant some small flower plants and don't have to mow that place....

Please let me know if this will have any impact on the home foundation and if it would cause any other structural damage...if it is ok, what small flower plants are good.

thanks you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 08:12 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Just make sure you slope the bed away from the foundation. I may be slapped around for this, but I can't think of any flowers that would impact the structure unless they grew so tall they held moisture against the siding.
I would recommend perennials (come back every year) and arrange them to flower at differing times.

Old 06-18-2010, 09:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
They are called foundation plantings and most builders put some token planting in. Some things to remember

1- don't plant so close to the house that somebody could hide behind them- remember garden centers are called nurseries cause they generally sell small-baby- plants. Pay attention to mature growth projections

2- I would recommend some sort of evergreen small bushes. See what grows in your region, neighborhood.

3- don't plant anything that attracts alot of bees right where people will be walking into your house.

4- perennials, bulbs, irises, daylillies are all good choices.

give yourself time to properly prepare the soil before you plant anything. remember builders are notorious for throwing down excess bricks, concrete, etc where most of us want to garden. it is easier to prepare the entire bed now with nothing in it than to try to work around existing plants. test the ph of the soil.

5- don't plant anything till fall

good luck

Old 06-18-2010, 12:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,208,127 times
Thank you very much for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden