U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:43 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,939,721 times

Advertisements

Never use something for fencing that can't be seen from a little distance by people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 PM

5,254 posts, read 9,156,922 times
I wonder why use fishing line? So the deers can NOT see?

Personally I think it is more effective to get a roll of those yellow tape that has "DO NOT CROSS" written all over it. First it is far visible for all to see and, Second; any educated deers will simply read the sign and move on.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:08 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
I live in a nice neighborhood and I'm trying to preserve my view of the woods, avoid the cost of a deer fence, eliminate any possibility of somebody getting hurt, protect my entire back yard. It's not just a specific garden plot. It's the entire back yard---well actually I want to protect the front yard too but I can't do much in the way of visible fencing. We have neighbors only one 1 side and the plantings are lush enough that their kids don't cross over much anymore anyway.

Last night I discovered 2 adult deer resting not 20 feet from the street light. They barely moved until I go about 6 feet from them. I actually wondered if somebody had played a joke of me by putting fake deer in my yard. I think they were waiting for me to turn off all my lights so they could start chowing down.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:00 AM

972 posts, read 2,189,011 times
How about running the fishing line through a piece of thin rubber tubbing?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:14 AM

35,285 posts, read 43,437,146 times

Problem with unseen lines such as fishing lines is it could harm the animals or kids if they run into it,a safer method would be a motion sensor hooked up to your garden hose.

YouTube - Motion Activated Water Sprayer

Old 06-21-2010, 08:28 AM

2,007 posts, read 3,515,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

Problem with unseen lines such as fishing lines is it could harm the animals or kids if they run into it,a safer method would be a motion sensor hooked up to your garden hose.

YouTube - Motion Activated Water Sprayer
Exactly. If a child or someone's pet gets injured by getting tangled up in the line, you could be sued. Not only that but a deer getting tangled up in it could run off and die a lingering death. If the wildlife agency in your state traced it back to you, you'd be fined. I don't know what you can do but I would stay away from fishing line.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM

36,498 posts, read 45,489,802 times
we have ordered two of the motion activitated sprayers but don't have them up yet. I'm just wanting to do a full court press and cover as much of the yards as much as possible.
with the sprayer how can I let my small dog out the front door for her last pee of the night? Would it be difficult to turn it off and on as needed? The UPS man would not like it either and I don't mind spraying door to door salespeople but I would hate to get a visitor.

Anybody had any experience with these sprayers?

Old 06-21-2010, 09:19 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,317,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
we have ordered two of the motion activitated sprayers but don't have them up yet. I'm just wanting to do a full court press and cover as much of the yards as much as possible.
with the sprayer how can I let my small dog out the front door for her last pee of the night? Would it be difficult to turn it off and on as needed? The UPS man would not like it either and I don't mind spraying door to door salespeople but I would hate to get a visitor.

Anybody had any experience with these sprayers?
Initially, the deer get scared off, but, deer bees smart critters, they get used to the water and will play in it before and after eating what they wish. They too appreciate the ability to get cooled off.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:25 AM

35,285 posts, read 43,437,146 times
You might want to write to the company or call em up and suggest a remote control on/off feature.
Or the owners manual may make suggestions on how to avoid the problems you describe.
If its just for deer just turn them on after the dog comes in as deer usually are more active at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or