Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 02:28 PM

36,499 posts, read 53,772,135 times

Advertisements

I have decided to try running fishing line at about 3-4 different heights to keep deer out of my yard. Which way is safest for the health of the trees I will be using as anchors

1) wrap the line around each tree and risk the tree eventually growing over the line

2) use nails in each tree and wrap the line around the nails.

I once hung a wind chime on a branch and after a few years the tree had grown all over the hook and it looked like the chime grew out of the inside of the branch. I don't think it caused any damage but I was wondering if 4 lines wrapped around a tree (mostly pine) would gird the trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 05:22 PM

205 posts, read 477,039 times
3.) Tie fishing line to the trigger of a shotgun. Problem solved?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:52 AM

yes I wish I could but I need a serious answer. Somebody? Anybody?

Old 06-19-2010, 01:27 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,730,277 times
Sorry NoKudzu.... just don't have enough personal experience to draw on. I have seen trees grow around things attached to or tied around but some have not done well afterward and others have not seemed to be affected.

It doesn't seem to be a recommended way for keeping deer at bay. Maybe its the fear of someone getting hurt hitting it while running/riding an ATV through it?

I just did a little searching trying to find if it will damage a tree and came across an "Walnut Council" group that actually tried to do a basic comparison of deer repelling techniques instead.

Deer Repellent Study (http://www.walnutcouncil.org/deer_repellent_study.htm - broken link)

It shows what anyone doing long standing battle with deer know; most repellents will work for a short term trial. They did not test my personal favorites (note I rotated using one or the other to keep the deer somewhat at bay) which disappointed me. The problem with almost all repellents is that once the deer get used to whatever chemical or scent they will be back with a vengeance or they come back because the repellent is easily washed away. The ones with capsaicin tend to make the deer hesitate but also need to be reapplied frequently. That is why cures like hair and soap bars usually make me laugh... they have to be replaced very frequently for the "smell" to be strong enough to be off putting at all and after a while the deer ignore it. I learned at a course I took on deer problems that there is nothing that works all the time and works over time again and again. I'm hoping you find a solution that allows you some garden happiness, deer in the garden is very frustrating. I've been there, done that and have the T-shirt!!

Old 06-19-2010, 09:56 PM

by the time I end up trying all the various sprays, fishing line, etc I will have spent as much as the deer fence I am trying to avoid. But I will say Liquid Fence has given me the best show of daylillies I ever could imagine. They are almost gone for now and only had one really bad deer damage night when it rained after bedtime.

These daylilles mean so much to me. I literally brought more than 350 pots full of daylillies from my Atlanta garden of 25 years. Names are long gone but I don't care- I love them all and am heartbroken to see the fat happy buds snapped off by tall yard rats with innocent eyes.

I think I'm just gonna wrap the line around the trees, putting a few strips of dayglow orange on the part where next door neighbors' kids might go thru but that is the only side we have neighbors. Other side and back are beautiful wooded area next to farm land and apparently is hundreds of years old deer trail. Nobody told me that when we picked out the lot.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,796,529 times
There is an easier way. I don't know if you have a "Southern States" or another agricultural co-op or good agri store in your area but, there is a fertilizer "Milorganite" I hope I spelled it correctlly, totally organic and Deer absolutely HATE the smell of it. I got two bags of it, went around the perimeter of my garden then finished off the rest of it going down my rows (broadcast spreader) and have not had a Deer in my garden since. I live back in the woods with plenty of Deer around, been losing stuff out of my garden to them for years, not this year, and, since I now know what to use, I'll bet not next year either.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:24 AM

thanx dusty rhodes. This is one thing I haven't tried but I have heard of it. I'll try that along with changing my liquid sprayer. Last night lost as few daylillies to deer so I guess they have shown me I need to change brands.

Do you only have to apply it once each season? what about after rains?

Got to spread the love before I can rep you again.....

Old 06-20-2010, 01:59 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,689,839 times
I posted a link to a post on the Arkansas board a while back about deer fencing....let me see if I can find it again. I've read other places, too, that this works.

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...ut-garden.html

I've even read before that just the poles, with no string, works also. How, I don't know.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM

133 posts, read 624,904 times
Can you drive some of those tall garden stakes into the ground and tie the line around those? Same effect without worrying about damage to the trees.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:11 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,796,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
thanx dusty rhodes. This is one thing I haven't tried but I have heard of it. I'll try that along with changing my liquid sprayer. Last night lost as few daylillies to deer so I guess they have shown me I need to change brands.

Do you only have to apply it once each season? what about after rains?

Got to spread the love before I can rep you again.....
The Deer got into my corn as soon as the sprouts were 3 in. tall, ate'em down to the ground, ate my squash as well. I used the milorganite one time, I didn't notice any truly foul aroma. My corn is between 7 and 8 ft high, tomato plants 5 ft high, both my yellow squash and zucchini are 4 ft tall, romaine lettuce, red lettuce, watermelon, cantalopes, onions, garlic, okra, poblanos, jalapenos, tabascos, pimentos, and cubanelles all, have been over-producing. I have three ears of corn on at least 25% if my stalks- I have had zero deer problems since the first application and we have had a lot of rain. You can bet your butt I'll use it again next year. I have lost produce to Deer for ten years (did I mention I am back in the woods?) I didn't realize my garden would produce this much. I've been sharing with friends and neighbors, canned and/or frozen a whole lot and it isn't even July yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden