U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:25 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,162 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

well it is about the only thing that makes sense to me the yellowing, on my bush is within the center main branch working its way up,I don't know bugs,viruses,or diseases,just that my butterfly bush looks sick..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Too much rain can cause yellowing, not just watering too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 AM
 
25,627 posts, read 31,534,626 times
Reputation: 23139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessed61 View Post
well it is about the only thing that makes sense to me the yellowing, on my bush is within the center main branch working its way up,I don't know bugs,viruses,or diseases,just that my butterfly bush looks sick..
Might be chlorosis.

Too much water, not enough iron and or both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 09:50 AM
 
2,063 posts, read 6,719,091 times
Reputation: 2723
Bulldog is most likely on the money.These are extremely tough bushes and don't get "sick easily so either too much (as in too frequent) watering/rain combined with poor drainage would be my first suspicion. This would lead to things like chlorosis.

Since it is one branch it may also be spider mites or "age" setting in. Sometimes the bush will seem to need more sever cutting back before it will send up new and stronger shoots and there are no other explanantions but "age." If age is the case, pruning the branch right down to the base of the bush if you can will help encourage newer growth. If it is mites a miticide that is absorbed through the roots may help. While normally I would recommend products that are greener or organic to spray for mites the butterfly bush is a special case because you could wind up killing or making ill all the "good" insects, butterflies and hummingbirds attracted to the bush. "Systemics" like Bayer '3 in 1' or 2 in 1' or Bonide's 'Systemic Drench' will work by being absorbed through the roots into the leaves and chewing bugs like the mites will eat it there. Of the two choices mentioned Bonide would work better since the butterfly bush usually does not like heavy fertilization and fertilizer comes with the Bayer products. There are other systemics out there if you check with your local garden store.

Bonide

2-In-1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care | Bayer Advanced
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 10:04 AM
 
25,627 posts, read 31,534,626 times
Reputation: 23139
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Bulldog is most likely on the money.These are extremely tough bushes and don't get "sick easily so either too much (as in too frequent) watering/rain combined with poor drainage would be my first suspicion. This would lead to things like chlorosis.

Since it is one branch it may also be spider mites or "age" setting in. Sometimes the bush will seem to need more sever cutting back before it will send up new and stronger shoots and there are no other explanantions but "age." If age is the case, pruning the branch right down to the base of the bush if you can will help encourage newer growth. If it is mites a miticide that is absorbed through the roots may help. While normally I would recommend products that are greener or organic to spray for mites the butterfly bush is a special case because you could wind up killing or making ill all the "good" insects, butterflies and hummingbirds attracted to the bush. "Systemics" like Bayer '3 in 1' or 2 in 1' or Bonide's 'Systemic Drench' will work by being absorbed through the roots into the leaves and chewing bugs like the mites will eat it there. Of the two choices mentioned Bonide would work better since the butterfly bush usually does not like heavy fertilization and fertilizer comes with the Bayer products. There are other systemics out there if you check with your local garden store.

Bonide

2-In-1 Systemic Rose & Flower Care | Bayer Advanced
Great call on the systemic treatment just incase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 11:01 AM
 
29,986 posts, read 38,321,423 times
Reputation: 12784
I have a severe leaf yellowing problem on the old wood on my black raspberry canes. The new canes look healthy thus far. Should I use these same recommended treatments as the above poster or something else. They appear to be done fruiting this Spring. Since I only planted them in the early Spring I don't know that I'll get a second crop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2012, 12:28 PM
 
25,627 posts, read 31,534,626 times
Reputation: 23139
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I have a severe leaf yellowing problem on the old wood on my black raspberry canes. The new canes look healthy thus far. Should I use these same recommended treatments as the above poster or something else. They appear to be done fruiting this Spring. Since I only planted them in the early Spring I don't know that I'll get a second crop.
Have checked to see if you have Blackberry chlorotic ringspot virus or yellow vein?

I suspect you have a fungal infection that requires cultural and chemical teatment.

What you describe dosen't sound like an insect or nutrient problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top