U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 06:18 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,360,586 times

Advertisements

My mums, which are new this year (planted bareroot last year and growing like crazy this year) have some areas that are a nice healthy, dark green and some that are yellowish. I've always thought that yellowing leaves were due to a soil with pH not low enough and/or not enough iron in the soil. I used soil acidifier with iron added in about two weeks ago but that doesn't seem to have helped. I also have fed them with MiracleGro plant food. Should I be concerned? Here is a pic of them:
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/Mums004r.jpg (broken link)

I also have two butterfly bushes that I planted 3 years ago and they are doing the same thing. One bush has dark green leaves and the other one--right next to it--has yellowish leaves. Any idea what is causing this?
Here is a pic of them.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/butterflybushr.jpg (broken link)

I might add that I have two apple trees in another area--one planted bare root last year and the other planted from a pot this year. The one planted from the pot is sprouting new leaves and looks healthy. The one that was bare root last year has both green and yellowish leaves on it. I have put soil acidifier around its base plus Jobe's fruit tree spikes in the ground. The yellow leaves are a concern to me as the tree just doesn't look healthy. Here is a pic of the one with yellowing leaves. The greener leaves are the newer ones.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/Appletrees001r.jpg (broken link)

This is a pic of the tree I planted this year - it was already in the pot when I bought it. This is a delicious apple and has totally different looking leaves than the other one (whose name I forget and the tag has lost its ink.)
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g146/seagrape/garden/deliciousappler.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 04:41 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,477,895 times
I've always read not to fertilize new plants for a few weeks until their root system gets established. You might be doing too much and/or watering too much.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:27 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,919,740 times
A lack of magnesium will also create yellow leaves. Epson salt will help. One tablespoon in a gallon of water. Don't fertilize any more. You might be burning the roots as mentioned. How much water are they getting? Could be too much or too little.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 AM

956 posts, read 3,662,658 times
It would also be helpful to get a soil test, this will eliminate guessing at the problem and help you zero in on the proper corrections.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM

395 posts, read 1,201,512 times
I second with Rtom. But usually the thumb rule is that, you are over-watering if the leaves are turning yellow and under-watering if they are brown.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM

2,406 posts, read 5,534,693 times
Too much rain can cause yellowing, not just watering too much.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 PM

1,699 posts, read 5,800,565 times
Clay soil that dries out too fast perhaps?

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,705,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
A lack of magnesium will also create yellow leaves. Epson salt will help. One tablespoon in a gallon of water. Don't fertilize any more. You might be burning the roots as mentioned. How much water are they getting? Could be too much or too little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
It would also be helpful to get a soil test, this will eliminate guessing at the problem and help you zero in on the proper corrections.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
I second with Rtom. But usually the thumb rule is that, you are over-watering if the leaves are turning yellow and under-watering if they are brown.

I agree with all three!! LOL

Without testing your soil it is possible for you to over acidify it and bring on a whole host of deficiencies and plants that aren't growing well. Fertilizer applied too frequently or too heavily can sometimes make for very green plants without flowers, followed by yellow and brown as the level of toxicity goes up. Often over watering (especially lots of small bursts of watering instead of less frequent but long watering periods) will also result in yellowed leaves, wilts (fungus) and stunted plants. A lot of gardening is knowing when less is more.

You can get an idea of why the above comments are all true by looking at the following link's chart:
http://www.primalseeds.org/nutrients.htm

Last edited by J&Em; 06-21-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: forgot the link!

Old 06-22-2010, 11:58 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,606,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I agree with all three!! LOL

Without testing your soil it is possible for you to over acidify it and bring on a whole host of deficiencies and plants that aren't growing well. Fertilizer applied too frequently or too heavily can sometimes make for very green plants without flowers, followed by yellow and brown as the level of toxicity goes up. Often over watering (especially lots of small bursts of watering instead of less frequent but long watering periods) will also result in yellowed leaves, wilts (fungus) and stunted plants. A lot of gardening is knowing when less is more.

You can get an idea of why the above comments are all true by looking at the following link's chart:
Identifying nutritional deficiencies in soil

Thanks , good site, goes into detail more than my gardening books .

Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,360,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillypups View Post
Too much rain can cause yellowing, not just watering too much.
Probably this as there has been a lot of rain here lately.

Thanks for all the responses. Nice site, J&Em. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or