Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:58 AM

401 posts, read 1,732,767 times

Advertisements

Hi,

For some reason my St Augustine grass is turning brown. I am located in Houston, TX. I give water twice a week for a long period of time (18 minutes) around 7-30 - 8:00 PM. What should I do about this situation?

Here are the pictures:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Did you fertilize in late march or early april ? It could be brown spot. But looking at it it could also be from this heat and alck odf rain and your having defintely cut it way too short.Brown spot can be made worse or caused by water at night because the cure is a fungicide.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,371,085 times
You aren't supposed to water your grass at night because it could develop fungus. Water early in the morning.

Old 06-21-2010, 07:44 AM

Thanks Texdavm and PeterRabbit,

I will water early in the morning. Thanks for your advice.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I have only seen that sort of browning on St. Augustine that was well watered when there was some insect at work, like chinch bugs. If there are no signs of insects then I think previous comments about how short it is cut are probably right on, and switching to morning water is good, but although I am admittedly no expert, that does not look like fungus damage to me.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Hi Tilli,

Thanks for the reply! The grass is brown and I can literally pick it up with my hands. I will switch to morning deep watering. I don't think I see any insects or anything.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:37 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Maybe watering too much? St. Augustine is pretty drought tolerant. I have SA in my yard, and I never do any watering. (Of course, that depends on if yours was just planted or not.)

I had a patch turn brown once, and it was in a spot where water collected and puddled during a really rainy period. Btw, it has recovered.

Just a thought. No grass expert here.....We don't "grow" grass in my neck of the woods, we just mow it down when it gets too high. LOL

Old 06-23-2010, 09:17 PM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Actually its ok to water at night in this part of the country since we stay so warm at night. (this according to the local scotts guy and a plant store I go to here). It looks like brown spot or it could be grubs since they eat the root systems. Dig around some and see if you see come white bug if you do you have grubs.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:51 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,200,367 times
Here is my Florida experience.

1) Like others said it looks that you are cutting too short. How often do you cut it now? Once in a week is what I do here in Summer and once in two weeks in Fall/spring and once in 3 to 4 weeks in Winter depending on the growth.

2) 18minutes of watering is not enough for me since my sprinkler reach wide area and I need to put it at least 60min to get enough water. St. Aug. really needs a lot of water. Make sure that you have enough water supply. You can do a simple experiment to figure how much you need and how often (this one is based on your soil type which you can get info from your local ag. extension)

3) In order to differentiate between bugs eating it or it's because of lack of water, just try to pull part of the grass and if grass come out with the soil and the root, you have bugs. If not, it just lack of water (This is what my local nursery guy told me).

But by just looking at it, it looks to me you have bugs there eating it. I may be wrong.

When in doubt, if you have a local nursery take this picture and a sample of the grass/soil and they will tell you exactly what to do. I had to do like that until I got control of my lawn.

Good luck

Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM

1,474 posts, read 4,995,303 times
you mowed too short. st.augustine is blooming(producing stalks with pollen things on it) these days which is i believe its healthiest state. try to let it do that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden