U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 05:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,462,755 times

Advertisements

Moving to NC, and would like suggestions on who I could get to identify the type of grass in my lawn. Right now, looks to be about 2 different main grasses, with a good deal of crab and wiregrass mixed in. I need to work on it some, but I need to know what I am working with first. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 09:36 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,354,702 times
Call one of those big lawn maintenance companies. Get a bid on their service and ask them what types of grass you have now. They better know, if they know their business at all. Thank them for their time, and say you will get back to them. They will be happy to help with the prospect of a possible client.

Or ask any of your neighbors with a similar lawn. One of them might know, and it is a good opportunity to meet your neighbors.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:37 AM

955 posts, read 3,916,908 times
I wouldn't rely on one of the big lawn care companies for grass ID, they're more into marketing than science. You'd be better off contacting the nc equivalent of the extension agency, somebody there should be able to help you. Or find a smaller full service lawn care company near your home, somebody with some education in addition to experience, they will be your best bet to get an accurate ID.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:40 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,462,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
I wouldn't rely on one of the big lawn care companies for grass ID, they're more into marketing than science. You'd be better off contacting the nc equivalent of the extension agency, somebody there should be able to help you. Or find a smaller full service lawn care company near your home, somebody with some education in addition to experience, they will be your best bet to get an accurate ID.
There is a county extension - would they actually come out, or would I have to take a sample to them (budget cuts and all)

Old 06-30-2010, 07:24 AM

955 posts, read 3,916,908 times
I can't speak for NC, but in PA they are very helpful. Even if they're not able to come out, you may be able to send them a high quality digital picture and they can make a close ID from that. There are hundreds of varieties of each grass species so that won't be exact, but they can tell you rye grass or blue grass or bermuda or fescue or garbage grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden