Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2007, 12:02 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,428,143 times

Advertisements

For years I have had vines coming up out of the ground all over the backyard willy-nilly - one year I let them go/grow and they flowered and produced some very pretty orange colored, kiwi-fruit shaped (but smooth) fruit. They ran up the side of the house and onto the lines (phone, electric, etc.) so they were a nuisance, and so were the pests that were attracted to the flowers and fruits (birds and bugs).

My neighbor, who was a gardener, told me it was passionfruit. Huh??? I thought that was impossible because I assumed passionfruit was a tropical fruit that grows in jungle-like climates. I googled it and found that he was right - and I also learned that there are many varieties which can be edible or non-edible. I also found a picture online that resembles the flower and fruit which grows in our yard. Can someone who knows this plant tell me if this is ok to eat? I'm attaching the picture for reference. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone familiar with passionfruit vines?-passionfruit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 03:50 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
wow you learn something new everyday
I have a passion flower and didn't know the blossoms turn into fruit. I have been snipping off the old blossoms.
I will ask some of my buddies at the extension office next time I am there.
thanks for the heads up
karla

Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
I did some research and this is what I found

"The vines can easily grow up to 15 feet in a season. Grow it on a fence or trellis, or simply allow it to scramble over your shrubs and trees.
The fruit produced by this plant is an oval berry, a little larger than a chicken egg. Passion fruit is edible, but seedy. It can be used to make jelly, but its best usage may come from being a food source for several species of butterfly and their larvae."

karla

Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,253 times
Passionflower/Maypop is tough - from what I understand it will die back to the ground in a freeze and then come back again...

Mine planted itself in my yard (a neighbor had one several years ago) and I started several new plants from it...letting it crawl all over my butterfly garden.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Around here it is considered a weed, the things are everywhere and grow on everything. Between them and trumpeter vine I'm not sure which is worse. I let them grow and I have several different colors of them growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden