U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,452,558 times

Advertisements

I like bark mulch. Just a preference. I enjoy the dark color of the mulch. They float more in rain so it's better to confine them within boundaries.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 08:22 AM

7,101 posts, read 26,204,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have you got termites in your area? Do not use wood or bark mulch if you have termites! It's like giving them an appetizer and your house will be the main course.

(Explained to me by the Orkin man who made a pile of money off my stupidity and seconded by all the neighbors who told me not to use bark/wood mulch in the first place. Did I listen? Nooooo.....)
I'll second this. My house had previous owners that used bark/wood mulch. My first spring showed the stupidity of this. I had termites in enough beds that it was scary.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 4,734,087 times
^ using bark/wood mulch. If you don't live in a region that termites are a problem is there anything else to worry about using mulch and infestation?

Old 02-17-2011, 05:05 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,594,850 times
Kcam,
Just don't put the wood mulch next to the foundation of your house.
Everyone, no matter where you live, should have their home checked once a year or every other year for termites.
You would be surprised even in the northern states how termites can eat a home and cause severe damage if they aren't stopped.
No wood near house.
Wood Mulch is fine to use under any plantings or even on hills for erosion control.
A good thing to remember is
Pine mulch to be used for plants
Hardwood mulch is best used for shrubs and trees.
GOod rule of thumb, I use the recycled tires mulch for next to my house,
the termites are really bad where I live and you can't tell it's rubber.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:44 PM

42,603 posts, read 56,787,766 times
Wood mulch, especially redwood mulch and sawdust robs nitrogen out of the soil. In that case if you're using that type of mulch you may need to add nitrogen fertilizers to the soil mix.
Here is a good informational site on proper soil/mulch management:
Soil Management in Yards and Gardens

Old 02-18-2011, 11:10 AM

32,524 posts, read 34,895,660 times
Here's what I had explained to me: Because my house (Southern California) was built over acres of what had been an orange grove the termites munched happily away on the roots of the long-gone orange trees for years. Once they'd polished all those off they discovered all the wonderful mulch that people had very nicely put down for them. From the mulch in my gardens they went to the split rail fence (redwood) which led right up to our house. Which they munched away on (unknown to us) until the day I took down the bathroom curtains and the whole window came off in my hands. An inspection found they were eating away at one whole part of the house.

I hate the little boogers.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:10 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,780,964 times
Quote:
Here's what I had explained to me: Because my house (Southern California) was built over acres of what had been an orange grove the termites munched happily away on the roots of the long-gone orange trees for years. Once they'd polished all those off they discovered all the wonderful mulch that people had very nicely put down for them. From the mulch in my gardens they went to the split rail fence (redwood) which led right up to our house. Which they munched away on (unknown to us) until the day I took down the bathroom curtains and the whole window came off in my hands. An inspection found they were eating away at one whole part of the house.

I hate the little boogers.
Well if you live in termite areas you either had termites, have termites and will have termites even without mulch close to your house.

Inspect your home every six months and know what to look for because sooner or later you will get them.

busta

Old 07-11-2013, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 34,704 times
Quote:
Have you got termites in your area? Do not use wood or bark mulch if you have termites! It's like giving them an appetizer and your house will be the main course.

(Explained to me by the Orkin man who made a pile of money off my stupidity and seconded by all the neighbors who told me not to use bark/wood mulch in the first place. Did I listen? Nooooo.....)
I never considered termites but thanks for the heads up. I don't use bark or wood mulch because my yard is too shady and it gets moldy. I like cocoa shell mulch. It smells good too. The only difference between bark mulch and wood mulch is what they are made of. Bark mulch takes longer to break down then wood mulch but it does eventually. Cedar Mulch lasts the longest of the wood mulches and that is why it costs more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden