U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM

1,265 posts, read 5,360,898 times

Advertisements

hi all - I live in Northern Virginia where we got over 2 feet of snow in early February. I have 6 medium sized azaleas in my back yard on the south side. 4 of them look great, but the 2 that are the closest to the drive way that got even more snow shoveled onto them look awful. There were broken limbs, but now one of the azaleas has brown leaves which are probably close to dropping off in the next week or so. When I give it the scratch test, the limbs are still green on the inside. The second azalea doesn't look much better.

Is this simply snow damage and maybe these 2 azaleas will put on new leaves later? Or could it be something else? I've been keeping them watered since it's been very hot here with very little rain.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 10:11 PM

7,102 posts, read 26,114,092 times
They could come out. Give them time. However, some azaleas from time to time will get some sort of root problem that slowly kills them. I don't know what it is as I am no expert. I just know that sometimes a bush will die for no reason at all while the bush next to it, isn't bothered a bit.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:15 PM

3,650 posts, read 8,801,171 times
Having this happen also. Slowly seems to be dying off. Who knows maybe just "old age" - ?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:15 AM

2,958 posts, read 12,183,501 times
My philosophy is this:

If it looks ugly, crappy, and sick--get rid of it.

New azaleas will cost you approximately ten bucks apiece anywhere. Buy some new ones. Plant them. Be happy.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:52 AM

7,706 posts, read 7,227,069 times
I couldn't tell from your post how the snow was dumped. Is it possible the root ball might've been damaged? If so, this might lead to partial death, but ultimately it will revive.

Dryness would definitely kill off one, and when you water -- if you water too fast, or in the heat of sun, that may not help. Try watering using a drip method, on the root ball, just before dawn, or at least before sun hits the plant.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:40 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,319,160 times
You may be over-watering the azaleas, brown leaves near the tips are a good indication (but not foolproof). Snow dumped on them, even piles of it should not be causing symptoms late in the game (I used to live in NY and had frequent snowfall - also had azaleas - and when there was no room they got buried in the extra being shoveled). It is possible that broken branches allowed the introduction of disease, but if the whole shrub is loosing its outer leaves I would suspect roots that are drowning and developing root rot. Established azaleas will not need a lot of extra watering. Once a week, deeply, in this weather should be enough to see them through the dry spell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden