Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2010, 06:21 PM

66 posts, read 150,273 times

Advertisements

Is it to late to plant Fountain Grass or Pampass Grass in the ground and /or containers??
I'm in zone 8.
Are they cold hardy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:20 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
I just double checked and it looks like you should be able to plant Pampass grass anytime, year round. I am pretty sure most Fountain Grass can be planted anytime. Both are cold hardy much further than zone 8. I've got several ornamental grasses here in TN that have spent a very cold winter and are much bigger this year.

If you are asking if it is a really good time, I'd say not so much. You'll have to babysit anything planted now because heat and dryness will effect any plant most when it has shallow roots and undergoing a bit of transplant shock. This means you have to check frequently to prevent it drying out and also be careful not to overwater. Other than that it shouldn't be too hard. Some people consider Pampass grass a bad idea for home gardens because it is fairly invasive once it is established. I know someone who has been battling to get rid of her for years unsuccessfully.

Planting info for Pampass Grass:

FPS145/FP145: Cortaderia selloana Pampas Grass (note: even they say not so good for home landscape)

Other gardeners' takes on if it is a good idea to plant:

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Pampas Grass Cortaderia selloana

Most varieties of Fountain grass are pretty drought resistant and cold resistant (at least for a few zones north of you). It should be fine with a little care initially until it has good roots. So far mine has shown no signs of spreading and I haven't seen anything about invasive tendencies. If you are deciding which grass to get, go with fountain or one of the other ornamental grasses.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:58 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,754,455 times
Fountain grass does not live through the winter for me (or my mom!) in Zone 8 (deep South).

Old 07-18-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Fountain grass does not live through the winter for me (or my mom!) in Zone 8 (deep South).
You must have the most cold sensitive variety. (An example: Graceful Grasses - Purple Fountain Grass - Fountain Grass - Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum' )

I've got three that made it through a cold for here winter. I live in zone 7a but because of the elevation and exposure on a ridge my garden at times is probably more of a zone 6b microclimate. I have the dwarf variety: Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Hamlin' Grass but there are pleny of others. The first site I googled bought up a 2 page catalog which includes several fountain grass varieties hardy to zone 5: Ornamental Grass - types of ornamental grasses

Another ornamental grass that might work (if Pampass and Fountian were meant as generic ornamental grass) would be miscanthus. There are tall and dwarf varieties that are cold hardy while still being able to live in zone 9, too. I've got the following kind: Adagio Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio') - Monrovia - Adagio Maiden Grass (Miscanthus sinensis 'Adagio')

Old 07-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Oh, I see, I think you (J&Em) were just talking about fountain grasses in general. I was thinking of purple fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'). I've grown it twice in my yard and it never came back. I waited and waited on it in the spring.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:12 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
I love Purple Fountain grass but it definitely does not winter over here in Wisconsin. Lowe's always has a big sign by it saying this grass does not come back and is not a perennial in NE Wisconsin.

I buy some every year because I really like it, I have some in a big pot this year and I may take it inside this winter.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Oh, I see, I think you (J&Em) were just talking about fountain grasses in general. I was thinking of purple fountain grass (Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'). I've grown it twice in my yard and it never came back. I waited and waited on it in the spring.
The purple fountain grass is beautiful but cold sensitive, even for zone 8. Nothing like waiting for a plant that never comes back, you have my sympathy. I thought that *maybe* you were thinking of one of the cold sensitive cultivars and not one of the more hardy forms so I 'clarified' what I meant. I've noticed a lot of people also mean decorative grasses when they say fountain or pampass grass so I clarified a bit more. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I love Purple Fountain grass but it definitely does not winter over here in Wisconsin. Lowe's always has a big sign by it saying this grass does not come back and is not a perennial in NE Wisconsin.

I buy some every year because I really like it, I have some in a big pot this year and I may take it inside this winter.
I would be shocked out my winter boots if Purple Fountain Grass came back in zone 3, 4 or 5!!! Even the OP's very mild zone 8 would be iffy without some winter protection and a good site (south facing wall for example). Sadly up north there are many perennials that will have to be treated as annuals, been there done that. Now I am learning what a 'tween area is like. Some things grow, or at least grow sooner... others not at all (I might as well be back in zone 5).

I'm also learning a new thing I never was much concerned with before: heat zones! Some plants will overwinter but can't stand the summer heat here, or are more susceptible to the heat and humidity related fungus and insects. Some things are also somewhat invasive here that were pretty 'tame' in the old garden in zone 5.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I'm also learning a new thing I never was much concerned with before: heat zones! Some plants will overwinter but can't stand the summer heat here.
Yep....I've tried twice to grow a 'Sutherland Gold' elderberry.....both times it has just meeeeelted away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden