U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 08:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,929 times

Advertisements

I arrived at a customers house saturday, and yet another week went by and her grass is still dead. I've been telling her to water it before its to late. Of course i have not cut this lawn, and i am being paid to stop, trim..etc. But now i am putting in a new front lawn for her. As a homeowner you wanna keep your maintenace costs low. On the other im in business and yes im going to put the lawn in, and happy to do it. But when your grass cutter/landscaping, or any contractor gives you advice, Take it and it might save you money!

moral.. its August and still Hot.. Water your lawn!

any questions message me! im here to help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM

20,416 posts, read 43,621,836 times
No way I am wasting and paying for water!

Besides, we have had plenty of rain this summer. My yard is green.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 103,407,980 times
There's no reason to replace brown grass! It's not dead! It's just dormant! It will come back! You're ripping that lady off!

Old 08-16-2010, 10:32 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,388,692 times
That's just crazy. My grass has been brown for weeks. It's like that every summer. I enjoy going about 3 weeks between mowings in July and August. Of course it will come back. Way to rip people off.

Now, it's certainly arguable that keeping the grass dense will help with keeping the weeds down, but that does not mean you have to keep it green through the summer. Nor does it mean that if the grass wasn't that dense that it won't green back up. It still will, may take longer than someone who has been regularly fertilizing it.

My neighbors probably would rather me get a few more weeds and such out of the yard, but really it's not that bad. I have too many projects going on outside to be perfecting the grass right now. More of it will be removed before I'm done.

Even the guy next door who has regular Chemlawn visits has the grass go fairly brown in the hottest, dryest part of the summer. Always turns out fine.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:38 AM

1,444 posts, read 3,586,436 times
LOL, this is so stupid. I agree you are ripping that lady off.

I lived in Florida when we had a big drought in '98 and wildfires ravaged the state and there were watering restrictions. My lawn was brown and crunchy for months. But guess what? It came back soon after the rains did! Green as green can be. Good thing you put you business name out there in your user id so we know who NOT to ever use for lawn service.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,929 times
Default you guys arent nice

haha.. guys settle down.. im not ripping anyone off!

yes it is dormant, yes it will come back!
there are tons of dead spots in the yard, it is very unhealthy
and No i did not push putting in a new yard to her, she wats it done.
watering is not a waste, you still have to care for your lawn!

you guys!

anyone will tell you i do not rip people off, our customers love us!

you guys are all right! and wrong at the same time.. sorry i was just trying to give out tips!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 103,407,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
My neighbors probably would rather me get a few more weeds and such out of the yard, but really it's not that bad.
Hey, that clover stays green!

Old 08-16-2010, 11:29 AM

254 posts, read 560,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
I lived in Florida when we had a big drought in '98 and wildfires ravaged the state and there were watering restrictions. My lawn was brown and crunchy for months. But guess what? It came back soon after the rains did! Green as green can be.
Mugatu, I'm still down here in Tampa and I long ago gave up hoping for a 'grass' lawn. This place is so extreme - very hot, very dry, very wet. Nothing in moderation. The sod grass went years ago - I now just go mostly brown in winter, and when the weeds and crab grass return in summer, it's green, mowed and edged. Can't tell the diff. I like to think it's also environmentally friendly since I am not dumping tons of chemicals and watering. Plus the time not spent fretting is priceless.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM

20,273 posts, read 31,426,740 times
The point is there is no such thing as "too late" when it comes to letting a lawn go unwatered in Pittsburgh, because the grass won't die, just go dormant. And it is improper to suggest otherwise.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:39 AM

475 posts, read 529,997 times
My lawn is all weeds, green as green gets. Take that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden