U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 12:06 AM

27 posts, read 70,918 times

Advertisements

Looking for assistance in identifying and treatment for these particular weeds. Not sure if anybody else is experiencing the same outbreaks on the island. The clover looking one comes back every year and spreads like wild fire.
Attached Thumbnails
Problem with weeds in my lawn-weed1.jpg   Problem with weeds in my lawn-weed4-c.jpg  
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:56 AM

172 posts, read 694,102 times
Second pic is Crab Grass. Crab Grass will die in the winter but the seeds will come up in spring. Dont cut your grass too short and get Scotts fertilizer with halts. That should help a bit. best of luck. My lawn is a disaster from the old owner.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:26 AM

886 posts, read 2,535,959 times
The one on left is easier to control by pulling it out at root.It is not an aggressive weed.The crabgrass like cmv said is treated in early April and again in late May with Scotts w/Halts. Doing it twice works for me.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:26 AM

13,768 posts, read 36,862,239 times
I moved your thread to the garden forum.. these folks know their stuff.

The first one looks like a wild violet to me but I am no expert

Old 08-19-2010, 08:54 AM

955 posts, read 3,933,581 times
You can use just about any broadleaf control, just make sure to follow the label directions. Do not use a product like Roundup in your lawn unless you want dead spots. For the crabgrass (2nd photo), you can use a pre emergent control as mentioned above. Even the professionals have had a hard time controlling crabgrass this year, so don't be disappointed with mediocre results. Its too late to get rid of crabgrass in your lawn this season, unless you want to try to pull it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,023,935 times
There are some sprays that will kill crabgrass but not normal grass. I can't remember the name, but we found one that comes in a powder form in a packet (like Kool-Aid - but crabgrass poison!) that you dilute into a sprayer. It also works on clover and other sedges (sedges are one of the most evil weeds to try to destroy...)

Best of all - it DOESN'T have a preventative, which means we can overseed.

So.. once you identify the weed (as everyone here has helpfully done for you) - get to a garden center and read the bottles, or ask for help. Usually the people will be very glad to assist.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:45 AM

468 posts, read 1,474,938 times
In early Spring I use Scott's fertilizer with Halts.

Around June 1st I use Ortho Weed B Gone Max. The "max" is for crabgrass in order to get any that were missed by Scott's and managed to germinate.

Ortho is great for any other weeds I have in my yard. It comes in a concentrated formula. I had to buy a hose sprayer for about $10. I just fill it with the concentrate, set the dial for 1 1/2 oz (even though the bottle recommends 2 oz I find that 1 1/2 oz works just as well), and spray the yard. I do two passes in opposite directions to ensure maximum coverage.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 PM

36,500 posts, read 51,426,483 times
be sure to identify what kind of lawn grass you have as different products work different on different grasses.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 PM

27 posts, read 70,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
In early Spring I use Scott's fertilizer with Halts.

Around June 1st I use Ortho Weed B Gone Max. The "max" is for crabgrass in order to get any that were missed by Scott's and managed to germinate.

Ortho is great for any other weeds I have in my yard. It comes in a concentrated formula. I had to buy a hose sprayer for about $10. I just fill it with the concentrate, set the dial for 1 1/2 oz (even though the bottle recommends 2 oz I find that 1 1/2 oz works just as well), and spray the yard. I do two passes in opposite directions to ensure maximum coverage.
Thanks for all the advice guys. So is the first picture definitely a wild violet? I checked out the Scotts with Halts and it states it should be applied just once yearly in early spring. Ron I checked out the Ortho Weed B Gone Max but I only found it in a large hand spray bottle. The bottle didn't mention anything about diluting. Did you just dilute it in the hose sprayer on your own?

Old 08-21-2010, 09:26 PM

3,763 posts, read 12,023,935 times
There are what's called "hose-end-sprayers". Ortho makes its own, it looks like a big plastic jar with a dial on its lid, and a handle built into the lid that attaches to the hose.

You dump the concentrate into the jar, usually there's a tube that goes from the lid down to the bottom of the jar -- make sure that's in place and tighten the lid. The bottle of concentrate will tell you what dial setting to use (1oz/gallon, 2 oz/ gallon, etc..). Set your dial. Connect your hose, turn the water on, pull your trigger ... SPRAY WEED DEATH!!!!

We use the concentrate for lawn weeds (in the back, where we don't care about overseeding) and for brush killer (nasty poison ivy)..

Good luck with your yard!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden