U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 01:52 PM

909 posts, read 3,193,169 times

Advertisements

It's a long story, but the upshot is, I took 2 hydrangeas out of the ground (they are very small still) yesterday and put them each into a very large pot in front of my front door. The pots are about 16 inches in diameter at the top, and about 18 inches high. Can I keep them there permanently? Or will they just die? I don't mind if they don't get really big, since I've seen how big hydrangeas can get. But if they just bloom, and sort of spill over the edge of the pots that's fine.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,763,425 times
there are lots of kinds of hydrangeas- do you know what kind they are. ??Seems like the wrong time of year to lift or move anything but if they are small, out of direct sunlight, overcome the initial shock of the move, they should last for a season or two in the pots but eventually I would plant them.

I think they will do better in the ground and there are better container plants for the front door. They will lose their foliage in winter and won't look very welcoming at the front door.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:24 PM

4,589 posts, read 9,443,235 times
We have a few varieties of hydrangea and, we have large pots full of mostly annuals, (a couple of perennials), but no hydrangeas in pots.
I have no idea where you live/what zone, but here at 5,000 ft elevation, (Zone 6a officially, but more like 5b), it is very difficult to get much
of anything to overwinter in pots, big or small...the potted soil/planting material, and thus the roots, just get too cold, or frozen.

If you are in a milder clime, it may be worth a shot to see how they come back next season, though I would have moved them later in fall,
after the blooming time had passed.

Just an opin...
GL, mD

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,496,090 times
They don't do well in containers (regardless how large) for very long. It is a good temporary thing but they love to spread out and don't like to be restricted. Regardless of the variety. Hydrangeas are my favorites and I have been able to transport them without any issues (even ones that were planted in the ground and then placed in large containers for a few months) but you have to cut them back very well. They do best with this method in the fall since they aren't interested in blooming. You never get great blossoms by keeping them in containers except when they come from a nursery initially.

Good Luck! They are very tempermental but it is so rewarding when they do well!

Old 08-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Okay, thanks for the feedback! It really is just temporary. I got them in temp pots, put them into the ground, and they aren't really any bigger. I think because I didn't water them, and it's been a dry summer (zone 5a, 5b). Then I got two blueberry bushes and needed someplace to put them fast. So I will look around for another ground spot to put them. The trouble is, we are planning on landscaping a large section of our property next summer/fall so I don't want to put them (or anything else) there until then.

I do have a very nice spot that gets quite a bit of sun, but it' currently covered with pachysandra. Don't know if that would be too much competition?

Old 08-21-2010, 10:00 PM

36,502 posts, read 49,763,425 times
Just wait till you start your landscaping projects before you buy anything else. Or at the very least have some screened garden soil delivered and "heel in" your plants in the pots unti you can plant them. The soil can always be used around in your landscaping and by keeping them in the pots buried in the good soil you are protecting them from frost or hot summer.

That is what I did with literally hundreds of daylillies, pots of bulbs and perennials when we moved them to N.c. from ga before we could actually make the move ourselves. Everything lasted for almost 2 years that way.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Or at the very least have some screened garden soil delivered and "heel in" your plants in the pots unti you can plant them. The soil can always be used around in your landscaping and by keeping them in the pots buried in the good soil you are protecting them from frost or hot summer.

That is what I did with literally hundreds of daylillies, pots of bulbs and perennials when we moved them to N.c. from ga before we could actually make the move ourselves. Everything lasted for almost 2 years that way.
What do you mean "heel in" my plants in the pots? And what is screened garden soil?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden