Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 12:17 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
They are not poisonous and will only bite a human if cornered or threatened. Scoop em up and take him outside.... do you have any idea how many bugs this thing will eat? They are so big I have a hard time thinking of them as spiders... you can see their eyes looking at you in real life- I can't kill them.
lol.. well that close-up I posted was the first time I had seen the face up close like that. I will definitely think about that if one is in the house I have to get rid of. Normally I do take spiders out, depending on the size, but these huge ones I will not go near. Thing about these are that they are hard to simply "scoop up", these things are very fast if you approach and they hide in areas you cant get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yes, they are poisonous. ALL true spiders are poisonous. It's just that not all spiders are poisonous to humans. Some have toxins that only affect certain creatures. Some deliver toxins in doses that would only harm certain creatures, but would likely not even be noticed by others. That itchy bug bite you get when one of those little random common house spiders gets stuck in the sheets with you, is just a nuisance for a day or two. But that same exact bite, from that same exact spider, will completely paralyze a fruit fly and kill it within a minute or two.

Spiders are awesome. I agree I don't want'em in my house. But that's why I have long ripped up pieces of cardboard. Scoop'em up, and toss'em out the window. If I find them webbed ON the window, they get a reprieve. Soon as they move off that web though, it's in the back yard they go!
Yeah, if they are small enough, they go out, but these big ones die in the house. These are really fast and hard to catch, they run under beds, furniture, etc. shew. I just wish they would stay out. I occasionally see them in the driveway... I scare them the other way from the house. We live in an old log house on the edge of the woods, so you can only imagine how these are around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I know exactly how you feel.
I am pretty much only this way about spiders and mice.

We don't get those big spiders in our house, but we were getting them at my workplace, always in the fall when it cools off. I was a big sissy about it but did manage to shoo one out the door with a broom (rather than squishing him).
We can thank ours to living in an old log house on the edge of the woods.

We even had one where I work last week (which is a high traffic and bright lit area) in a large supermarket, kinda like Walmart. I have never seen one in the building the entire 11 years I had worked there and surely never expected to see one in there. It was strange. Maybe it had crawled out of my shoe from the house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:19 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
OMG! You actually were able to catch and keep it still enough to photograph it! I'd be screaming, running out the door!
G*d, I hate spiders - well, all creepy critters, to be honest.
lol. This is one my dad had killed... I think it had got into some bug spray. He had spread its legs out to get the photo next to the coin. No, not me, I would not go 10 ft near this thing, even dead. lol. These will not hold still... you go near them they run and hide. They are afraid of people (and most people likewise), but I dont want one running around my bedroom, under the bed, etc.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:25 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,470,554 times
We get 'em in Missouri also. I've never known anyone to be bitten by one though. I would much rather have a large visible wolf spider in the house than those sneaky invisible brown recluses.....

Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebll31 View Post
We get 'em in Missouri also. I've never known anyone to be bitten by one though. I would much rather have a large visible wolf spider in the house than those sneaky invisible brown recluses.....
This is a very true statement. I am terrified of the brown recluse. The wolf spider just scares me a little but I do not want it in the house. They are fast. We lived in old houses in my growing up years and we always had at least one in some part of the house. <s>

Old 09-07-2010, 05:57 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
lol.. well that close-up I posted was the first time I had seen the face up close like that. I will definitely think about that if one is in the house I have to get rid of. Normally I do take spiders out, depending on the size, but these huge ones I will not go near. Thing about these are that they are hard to simply "scoop up", these things are very fast if you approach and they hide in areas you cant get to."
I find these spiders mostly in the basement. I leave them be..........but my cats aren't as merciful.

If I find a wolf spider upstairs, I will catch them by herding them into a paperbag with a magazine. {One of those large, square bottomed grocery bags} If it is warm out........I will put them in my attatched garage......in the middle of winter, I take them to the basement. {I don't want them to freeze}

I don't find a lot of spiders in the house, when I do, I leave them alone unless they are near my bed or the couch.........then I relocate them.

Right now I have a little, thinish, black spider living aroung my TV in the living room. I call this type of spider a "racer", because they run real fast.

I have seen him high on the wall behind the TV..............the cats have seen him too..........I wish him well.

Old 09-07-2010, 08:44 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
I use these inside the house to trap spiders. They work pretty well. You'll probably be amazed by the number of spiders caught that you didn't know were there.

Spider traps: Effective Sticky Spider Glue Traps

Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 AM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times
Eeeeek, never ever have seen one of these here in NJ.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I think glue traps are incredibly cruel, for spiders and especially mice.

I could not live with myself.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 125,612 times
Out the window as they are probably more scared than you are.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:16 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Just like other bugs, for every spider you see, there are probably close to 100 more. Buy some fly swatters and practice clobbering them. Make sure you don't ever squash a stink bug... you will regret it

Leaf-footed pine seed bug pictures and information

I live in upstate western NY; they are here by any stand of conifers. This is the time of year they try to get in to winter over, just like spiders. These guys, get them outside and THEN clobber them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden