Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:08 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times

Advertisements

I used to have Wolf Spiders inside all the time at my old house. I always killed them, but I would laugh when I first saw them because they usually did some crazy jump or move like they were thinking, "UH OH! He sees me!". I always thought they had personality, as weird as that sounds.
As others mentioned, they like to eat other spiders and they roam instead of sitting on webs. There are benefits to having them around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,416 times
Question Is this the same kind of spider?

I am horrified to have found this spider in one of the glue traps under the baseboard heater in my bedroom today...this after I ALSO saw one of roughly the same size, alive, in the shower! My husband sprayed it with big spray but it was able to crawl bk into a crack around the shower pipe and get away...he sealed that with caulking but to think these are in my bedroom is just horrific. I have a young daughter and pets including a 13 wk old puppy so I am super concerned. We pay an exterminator a monthly contract fee bcuz when we moved in we noticed the abundance of spiders, apparently due to our wooded area also being moist as it is near a lake, and the house siding was improperly installed which has caused moisture in the walls of the home, therefore attracting spiders...they spray monthly around the exterior and yard and have glue traps scattered throughout the house, which I guess is the best defense becuz spiders have pads on their feet that allow them to walk right over spray...we see all kinds of different species, but mostly wood/wolf spiders of different sizes and color. This is the biggest I have caught in a trap. Is this a wolf or wood spider and is there a difference? If my daughter or dog was bitten, would it require medical care???
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of spider is this?  Wood spider, wolf spider?-photogrid_1404506428744.jpg  

Old 07-04-2014, 03:28 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Can't see the picture very clearly. there are several spiders called "wolf Spiders" the species lycosa has bands on it's legs. Like the one in your picture.

This is what a Wolf Spider (Lycosa) looks like:

SOURCE

As for it's bite:

Quote:
Venom

Wolf spiders will inject venom if continually provoked. Symptoms of their venomous bite include swelling, mild pain and itching. In the past, necrotic bites have been attributed to some South American species, but further investigation has indicated that those problems that did occur were probably actually due to bites by members of other genera.[3] Australian wolf spiders have also been associated with necrotic wounds, but careful study has likewise shown them not to produce such results.[4]
SOURCE

I've never been bit by one but have been bit by some close relatives. The but is intially very similat to a bee sting. but only last a few seconds and chnges to itching similar to a mosquito bite.

Not comfortable but not dangerous either. they are reluctant to bite and bites seem to be very rare. A concern, but not a major danger.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,957,395 times
I've been bitten by plenty of regular house spiders. I'm always working on stuff in a workshop and cleaning live/dead spiders off of stuff that's been sitting for a long time. You don't really notice when it happens, or you might feel an insignificant amount of pain. Then I usually have a raised bump that is kind of sore for a few days. I haven't been bitten by anything that I would compare to a bee or wasp sting (I don't think I've been bitten by fire ants).

Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I think wolf spiders only bite when they are looking for food or feel threatened I would be more worried about banjo spiders and if you have any of those then yeah I would raise concern over those and you can usually find those behind your headboard of your bed sorry I know it is frightening .But whoever has the spider in the glue trap call your exterminator and have them come back out and tell them you found a spider .

Old 07-10-2014, 08:19 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I've been bitten by plenty of regular house spiders. I'm always working on stuff in a workshop and cleaning live/dead spiders off of stuff that's been sitting for a long time. You don't really notice when it happens, or you might feel an insignificant amount of pain. Then I usually have a raised bump that is kind of sore for a few days. I haven't been bitten by anything that I would compare to a bee or wasp sting (I don't think I've been bitten by fire ants).
People seem to have slightly different reactions. I usually fill a very intense pain that lasts about a secon followed shortly by itching. Used to get the same reaction from scorpion stings when I lived in Texas. (Most if not all Texas scorpions are not considered venomous)

Fire ants used to really drive me up the wall, probably because they are almost always in a huge number. Them critters hurt to blue blazes when you get about 50 bites at the same time.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,202 times
Yes we have them in Wisconsin. We are north of Antigo on the lake and I found a huge one on a bunch of scap wood we were clearing off down by the lake. I heard it before I saw it and almost past out! I saw its eyes and my husband said he has never seen a spider that big in 40 years!! Welcome to lake living!! I will be on the look out for all creatures that do not belong in my home or in my vehicle!! Thank you so much for the pictures because I honestly couldn't have taken one!!

Old 09-25-2016, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,411 times
Unhappy Wood of wolf spider. Not sure

Just wanted to let you know that we have these spiders in upstate new York as well. They are big and gross and I just killed 2 a couple hours ago. Can't even deal with the spiders! Especially not this big! But I do wonder though, what gave spiders such a bad wrap that we are all so afraid of them. Is it the way they look? Not sure but that's my reason. They are big and gross and these guys are fast! 😕😣😦😢tried posting my pics of my 2 but I don't know how..says I need a URL.. ugh

Old 09-25-2016, 08:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Wow, old thread. I had forgot about starting it so many years ago.

We rarely see these now in the house as since I have posted this we have started using Ortho Home Defense on a regular basis. When I do see one it is small and already dead. That stuff works wonders.

I see you live in upstate New York. If I am not mistaken it is starting to get cold in that neck of the woods, so it gets those things stirring, wanting to come inside somewhere it is warm.

We have been in the 90s here in Tennessee, even today it was 92°, but a big cool down next week when we could drop only to the 70s for highs and lows near 50° for a couple of nights, it may have some wanting to head inside here as well, but I am going to spray again in the next couple of days.

I would recommend that Home Defense to anyone... it seems to be the only thing that helped us keep these ugly things at bay.

Old 09-25-2016, 08:36 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Spiders are your friend, pick them up with some paper and take them out side. A spider eats about 2,000 insects a year, so spiders are good to have around the home

The only spider you need to be aware of
is the Squirrel Spider, they like to crawl
up your pant leg and do a little foraging
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden