Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

(please move to proper forum if this is wrong spot)

We have always had these... I think they are either called wolf spiders or wood spiders. There was even one in a local super market the other day! We usually get them in the house, especially in the downstairs basement where I sleep... (chill bumps). I hate them. This one has been camping out on my station wagon every night. This one is small compared to most around here. Seem to be a very common spider here in Tennessee... I wonder where all else in the country do these reside?

This is one that my dad killed in the house last summer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
That is what I've always heard called a Wolf spider.
I live in northeast Ohio and we have them evey year.
Big ole scary looking things. They can get a persons attention.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Thanks. Yeah they are eye openers!

The irony was about an hour after I posted this I went down to the downstairs bathroom which adjoins the laundry room... you guessed it... one of these monsters was down there.

It ended up being sprayed with bathroom cleaner, hit with flyswatter and flushed down the toilet!

I hate to kill any of Gods creatures, but I cant handle these things inside.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:24 PM

My - did a search... here is a closeup of these little buggers... almost cute up close. lol

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/Wolf_eyes_for_guide.jpg/800px- (broken link)

Old 08-27-2010, 05:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Look at those sad puppydog eyes...how can you kill one of those darlings? You should put little pink-thread collars on them and make velvet leashes and name them fun names like Foofoo and Spot.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Look at those sad puppydog eyes...how can you kill one of those darlings? You should put little pink-thread collars on them and make velvet leashes and name them fun names like Foofoo and Spot.

LOL! I knooooow! Up close they look like little teddy bears in the face and now I will think about that everytime I have to kill one running around in the house! But when all spread out like in my bathroom floor... well, eek!

I did a google and seems as if these things can be anywhere in the world... there are many different species it seems.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:51 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times
OMG! You actually were able to catch and keep it still enough to photograph it! I'd be screaming, running out the door!
G*d, I hate spiders - well, all creepy critters, to be honest.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:37 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
They are not poisonous and will only bite a human if cornered or threatened. Scoop em up and take him outside.... do you have any idea how many bugs this thing will eat? They are so big I have a hard time thinking of them as spiders... you can see their eyes looking at you in real life- I can't kill them.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:10 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Yes, they are poisonous. ALL true spiders are poisonous. It's just that not all spiders are poisonous to humans. Some have toxins that only affect certain creatures. Some deliver toxins in doses that would only harm certain creatures, but would likely not even be noticed by others. That itchy bug bite you get when one of those little random common house spiders gets stuck in the sheets with you, is just a nuisance for a day or two. But that same exact bite, from that same exact spider, will completely paralyze a fruit fly and kill it within a minute or two.

Spiders are awesome. I agree I don't want'em in my house. But that's why I have long ripped up pieces of cardboard. Scoop'em up, and toss'em out the window. If I find them webbed ON the window, they get a reprieve. Soon as they move off that web though, it's in the back yard they go!

Old 08-28-2010, 08:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I hate to kill any of Gods creatures, but I cant handle these things inside.
I know exactly how you feel.
I am pretty much only this way about spiders and mice.

We don't get those big spiders in our house, but we were getting them at my workplace, always in the fall when it cools off. I was a big sissy about it but did manage to shoo one out the door with a broom (rather than squishing him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden