U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 04:42 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,035,278 times

Advertisements

For anyone looking to fill in beds check out Home Depot and local nurseries for great sales. Lowes-no sales.

We are here almost 2 years and still getting used to what grows well in this climate. Now we have somewhat figured it out Home Depot & local nurseries have awesome sales.

This weekend at Home Depot bought perennials $1.99 & local 75% off. We have warmed up again-will keep them in the shade and wait till it cools off again to plant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 PM

4,906 posts, read 7,986,960 times
I can never find any good perennials on sale at Lowe's or HD in late summer.....I guess the heat here is just too brutal in summer and they just end up losing the ones they don't sell or something. Guess I should try again this year, though!

Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM

20,416 posts, read 43,190,998 times
Our Lowe's has no sale either, because they have absolutely NOTHING to sale.
The remnants at HD are pathetic and not worth getting.

Our local nurseries have good stock at great prices.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,570,879 times
Menards where i'm at has perenials for 2.00...now thats great.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,035,278 times
We got some great deals at Home Depot $1.98 for bugle weed-and not on it's way out to put me out of misery. At a local garden center a huge azalea-list price $70.00-got it for $13.00. 2 big pots day lilies-$4.00 & change-hostas-gallon pot-$3.00!

Old 08-31-2010, 05:16 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,570,879 times
i love those kinds of deals.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:29 AM

3,442 posts, read 6,163,415 times
I wish you all lived in my neighborhood. I have perennials for FREE. I dug up several Iris clumps, both purple and a peach colored one that is fragrant. The needed separating but now I have no room to put in the leftovers. I also have loads of daylilies. One is an especially pretty burgundy. I have tons of Jacobs Ladder as well. It seems to love the soil here. I started with one and now have at least 10.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:10 PM

13,318 posts, read 13,323,304 times
Our Lowe's has perennials for 3.33, good sized ones, I bought a nice Foxglove the other day. Menard's closed their garden area several weeks ago.

I watch the paper around here and buy my Hostas that way. I got two the other day for $ 2.00 each, huge plants. They let me take whatever ones I wanted, they were getting rid of them.

Glad to hear about the Jacobs Ladder, I planted some for the first time, now I have a long wait for Spring to see how it comes back.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:53 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,334,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I wish you all lived in my neighborhood. I have perennials for FREE. I dug up several Iris clumps, both purple and a peach colored one that is fragrant. The needed separating but now I have no room to put in the leftovers. I also have loads of daylilies. One is an especially pretty burgundy. I have tons of Jacobs Ladder as well. It seems to love the soil here. I started with one and now have at least 10.
I wish I lived in your neighborhood, too. LOL I'd probably be happy to take at least one of everything!! It would also be fall planting time, which it certainly isn't here. We still are too hot and now have been too dry to dare do anything yet beside water. The Forest Service has been watching a forest fire near us very carefully because its been so dry. So many trees are looking brown and loosing leaves prematurely in the neighborhood. It seems that many plants and shrubs all look suddenly wilted in the last day or two.

I guess I will have to start looking at the deals at the local HD and Lowe's as well as the nursery centers in the next week or so and hope they are keeping things watered enough if they are already stocked. Luvvarkansas I don't remember too many plants being available until much later than this last year. It may just be too soon for Lowe's and HD to carry plants for southern gardens. I'm hoping to get back to a native plant nursery as soon as the weather improves, too. Last year I was still reworking the garden well into November.

The Jacob's Ladder in my old garden was a wonderful plant to have, I'm glad it's thriving for you, Newdaawn. In the meantime enjoy the bounty and hopefully you'll find a few takers for the plant extras.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:45 AM

4,906 posts, read 7,986,960 times
Was at Lowe's yesterday....pitiful, dried-out looking stuff....all still at the regular prices. Didn't have time to go to Home Depot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden