Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 04:05 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Squirrels are very, very smart and I like to sit and watch them trying to figure out a way to get to a new feeder or one that has been moved. You can almost hear the wheels spinning. The young ones, when Mom first takes them out for "training", are especially fun to watch.
They are resourceful little rodents and they do provide hours of free entertainment. Some deer seasons watching these furry little tree rats are the only thing that keeps me awake in my stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 PM

481 posts, read 942,913 times
Thanks everyone. I cannot move the feeder because it is cemented in and was built with the house. It's quite a lovely wooden feeder that look slike a small gazeebo. Now why they put them (there are 2) right under a tree makes no sense, but not much I can do about that now. I thought about creating a squirrel feeder and using the chilli pepper laced food to maybe sway them to leave the bird food alone. We shall see.

BTW, I like squirrels too. I just don;t like my bird seed being thrown about and stolen.

Old 08-30-2010, 07:30 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
The "twirl-a-squirrel" feeders are not only quite entertaining for us humans , but rather effective as well!!!

Being in an area that is heavily invested with squirrels, here's the solution I eventually came up with. I selected a place in the yard that is at least 15 feet from the nearest structure or tree or branch or... you get the idea. There is nothing above it, either.

I planted a 12-foot section of gas pipe about 2 feet into the ground, and poured a 10-inch "dish" of concrete around it for security/stability. On the top I placed a flat "platform" on which to scatter seeds and unshelled roasted peanuts. I added two 2-foot "arms" just below that, and hung two finch feeders on them.

The squirrels cannot climb the gas pipe, and they cannot jump that high. There are no nearby "launching pads" from which to jump or dive. Not that they haven't been trying, of course. I do need a step-stool to reach the top platform, but what the hey?

Lately I've heard rumors about about secret squirrel-meetings to identify and plan ways to get even with me, but so far nothing of interest has occurred!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:21 AM

147 posts, read 646,053 times
I have three bird feeding stations and the best way I have found to defeat the rats with fuzzy tails is to place the feeders where they can't jump onto them from trees or fences, use a pole long enough to keep them from jumping from the ground, and then place three foot sections of galvanized stove pipe around the pole just under the feeder platform itself. I haven't had a squirrel on a feeder in three years and they congregate under them and feed on what the birds drop.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:25 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,209,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
The other has a motorized perch around the base. The weight of a bird will not activate it, but a squirrel will. When the squirrel gets on it, it rotates and the squirrel finally looses its grip and falls. I had one of those feeders hanging above a deck rail. A squirrel jumped up onto it and was "rejected". It came right back onto the deck rail and went through all that again. It came back again and stopped below the feeder, looking at it. It would get ready to jump, then change it's mind. It did that several times, then gave up, left, and never came back. As I said; "I could write a book".
lol. We had one of those, but it didn't hold up ie stopped working before long.

The "hot" food is an interesting idea, will have to try......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden