Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 12:30 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,688,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Yes you can through that window they will get enough sun to ripen also you can put them in a brown paper bag in a dark area of a room and they will also ripen . good luck .
thank you for the tips, we're gonna try them. Our plants are still loaded of green tomatoes and i would hate to lose them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawk57 View Post
You most definitely can. A couple of years ago I had tomatoes out the wazoo. Before frost came I brought them all in and just had them everywhere. I picked them in November and I had tomatoes until February. Even the little ones that are starting to dry up and wrinkle a bit are quite tasty. It's like the flavor is concentrated in them. I have also heard of just leaving the tomatoes on the vines, pulling the vines, putting them in a protected not freezing area(like a basement) them covering with straw or blanket. I would put them on a pallet to keep them off of the floor. To me that would use too much space.
thank you as well for the great tips. (and to everyone that i missed) I too would think that putting them in the basement would be a pain. My youngest worked hard in the garden this year and the tomatoes were her "babies" (she's 6)

Old 09-19-2010, 01:58 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,874,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineann View Post
thank you as well for the great tips. (and to everyone that i missed) I too would think that putting them in the basement would be a pain. My youngest worked hard in the garden this year and the tomatoes were her "babies" (she's 6)
So glad that you are teaching her the joys of gardening!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks, i dont want her to wait as long as i did to enjoy gardening.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Well, good news for fall garden so far......lettuce and arugula are already poking up as well as peas. No signs of life yet for spinach and endive, pepper plants are covered in blooms again.
DH and I went to the back garden, (yes I have 2) nothing happening yet with cabbage, beets, fennel or squash.
This is the perfect time of year for fall gardening in Florida, I consider myself highly blessed.
Oh, and the hens are laying like crazy!

Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,038,943 times
I'm not much of a gardener, I'm in the early stages of learning.
I planted a package of pumpkin seeds, got 5 vines, then one died...got several pumpkin starts but then they would disappear. A coworker suggested deer might have ate them.
Planted a package of sunflower seeds. Got one plant out of that.
Someone gave me two giant hosta plants. I split them into eight and planted them a few weeks ago. I think they are doing okay.
We moved to a new home in May, so I've spent much of the year learning about the plants that are here. The previous resident put a lot of work in planting some beautiful plants. I am trying my best to learn to care for them. It's been an enjoyable experience. I am looking forward to reaching a point where I feel like I actually know what I'm doing!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:07 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,352,651 times
Wife's garden did O.K., but not as good as in the past. Heat was the problem. We had several days straight over 100 degrees when our normal is around 95. Her garden catches water from timed lawn sprinklers, so water was not a problem.

Old 09-23-2010, 12:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,743,871 times
The heat and dryness was certainly a factor here, too. I did a lot of hand watering but a lot of plants dried out faster than I could keep up with. The garden grew and many plants have done OK, it's not ugly... just meh. Several plants may have succumbed to fungi because we also went through a period where we had several very light rains and very warm humid nights. We certainly got some large exotic looking mushrooms!! I'm dealing with something that has killed several very different plants one stem at a time, including Phlox, Lobelia, Alstromeria. Can't figure out if it is a root fungus animal or "other."

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. Symptom picture:

All spring and summer the plant is healthy and green with plenty of flowers. Overnight one stem of the plant will begin looking a bit wilted and within a day or two the leaves will have turned brown, some drop. The rest of the plant will look fine until the next stem goes. This can happen over a period of a few days to one plant doing this on and off over a period of 4 weeks. Roots look intact when pulled out (the Lobelia had less roots than expected but they didn't look eaten away) and there are no obvious insect signs on leaves or in the soil. I don't want to go crazy with sprays until I have an idea what is causing the problem. Anyone??

Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
The heat and dryness was certainly a factor here, too. I did a lot of hand watering but a lot of plants dried out faster than I could keep up with. The garden grew and many plants have done OK, it's not ugly... just meh. Several plants may have succumbed to fungi because we also went through a period where we had several very light rains and very warm humid nights. We certainly got some large exotic looking mushrooms!! I'm dealing with something that has killed several very different plants one stem at a time, including Phlox, Lobelia, Alstromeria. Can't figure out if it is a root fungus animal or "other."

If anyone has any ideas I am all ears. Symptom picture:

All spring and summer the plant is healthy and green with plenty of flowers. Overnight one stem of the plant will begin looking a bit wilted and within a day or two the leaves will have turned brown, some drop. The rest of the plant will look fine until the next stem goes. This can happen over a period of a few days to one plant doing this on and off over a period of 4 weeks. Roots look intact when pulled out (the Lobelia had less roots than expected but they didn't look eaten away) and there are no obvious insect signs on leaves or in the soil. I don't want to go crazy with sprays until I have an idea what is causing the problem. Anyone??
Hmmmmm, maybe nematoads? Sounds like it.
You may have to have your soil tested for them.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:24 PM

745 posts, read 1,643,931 times
Terrible. I had started it befor the heat set in, so that's not a factor. Beans had lots of flowers, but when the beans were about 1 to 2" long they quit developing. Cucumber - got 2 and then nothing further. Zucchini got about 3" long and then dried up. No more. Acorn Squash seems to lack calcium - got blossom end rot. A dozen or more fell off. Turnips fizzled. Okra stagnated. Carrots failed to develop. Even the morning glories failed.

I have my fall garden started, and so far it looks good. The squash is getting blossoms and the turnips have nice leaves, and I have loads of white and blue morning glories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden